Awesome trip. It was great to see Eddy, Durk, Paul and Peter and meet Kevin for the first time.
- Driving through one of the valleys away from Trona, heard multiple roars from a jet engine, very loud even with the top down at 65 mph. Eventually saw an F-18 or F-22 fly directly overhead.
- Driving from Trona to Death Valley was the infamous unmarked construction area. Checked for closed/under construction roads before we left. Apparently they didn't feel the need to report this one. Took it at 25 mph to try and keep the rocks off the fenders. Glad to have a silver car, dirt was almost invisible.
- Sand dunes in the park were fun to climb on. Not used to having so much sand were there is no ocean. Got a little overheated, thankful for the A/C system in the 280.
- Had fun exploring different areas of Rhyolite including a very creepy old mineshaft.
- Stapling the "SLK dollar" to the Sourdough Saloon in Beatty.
- Going from 56 F temperatures in Beatty to 88 F in Death Valley over the span of approx 1 hour. Removal of layers was required.
Good food, good friends and no downpours on the way home made for a good trip. Loosely drove with other group members on the drive home, stuck with Paul for a bit on the 15 until the traffic hit at Adelanto. Then stayed with Eddy until the last part of the Cajon Pass. Eventually saw him again pulling into the toll plaza on CA 241.
And now the photos:
Paul and Durk on the other side of the sand dune:
Raiders of the Lost Ark, SLK World edition:
Old train station in Rhyolite ghost town:
Overview of the ghost town:
Ruined bank with a photo of how it once looked:
The official group photo:
Another view of the group with the snow capped montains in the background: