* EVENT IS CANCELLED *
I'm sorry folks. This event is cancelled because of inclement weather. The cold we can deal with to some extent (although Beatty is forecast to dip down to 15 degrees). However there are also rain storms predicted over a very large area in Southern California, including Death Valley. In higher elevations - including the town of Beatty - this translates into snow storms. This sounds like a little bit more trouble and risk than it is worth voluntarily exposing ourselves to.
ORIGINAL TEXT FOLLOWS:
Join us for our road trip to visit the natural splendor of Death Valley December 7-8, 2013.
We did a similar trip in late 2011 and it was a great success. This is for those that couldn't go, or that just can't get enough of the beauty of Death Valley!
Pick a place to meet up with the caravan to Death Valley:
San Diego Secondary Waypoint, Call Time 7:30 am Sharp
North County Fair shopping mall, 272 E Via Rancho Pkwy, Escondido, CA. This mall is also called Westfield North County Mall. This linked picture (CLICK!!)
shows a general area to meet at. As you can see the parking lot is enormous, so we'll be on the look out for you. There's two gas stations (Chevron and Shell) across the street from the parking area. It's best to fill up the tanks before meeting in the parking area.
Orange County Secondary Waypoint, Call Time 7:30 am, Depart 8:00 am
REI at Tustin Marketplace
2962 El Camino Real Tustin, CA 92782
This is a large parking lot, meet in the area closest to Jamboree. Easy right turns out of the lot to I-5 North. This is for our OC members.
Adelanto Primary Waypoint, Call Time 9:30 am, Depart ASAP
11500 Air Base Road, Adelanto, CA 92301
Turning off 395, there is a large parking lot on the right side past Adelanto City Hall. This is a large park parking lot, so it should be empty. If not, City Hall is next door with even more parking. This is a catch all for North LA / San Diego members since it is on our route out of the LA basin.
12/7 - 8:00AM
- Leave secondary waypoints with full tanks. Picture shows approximate route from OC waypoint: (Marker A)
12/7 - 12:30PM
- Lunch and fuel stop in Trona, at Esparza
Family Restuarant 13223 Main St Trona, CA 93562.
12/7 - Afternoon
- Enter Death Valley National Park, see Mesquite Sand dunes and Mosaic Canyon (time permitting). If there is something you want to see in particular we can adjust itinerary accordingly.
12/7 - Late afternoon/Evening
- drive to Beatty to stay overnight.
Death Valley Inn
651 South Highway 95, Beatty, NV
12/8 - 9:00 am
- Drive from Beatty back into the park, stop for gas in Furnace Creek if need be, see Golden Canyon, do Artists Drive, check out Badwater.
12/8 - Afternoon
- Have lunch at somewhere, depending on when everyone is hungry (suggest bringing snacks just in case). Some possibilities:
72112 Baker Boulevard, Baker, CA
Crowbar Cafe & Saloon
California 127, Shoshone, CA 92384
12/8 - Afternoon
- Hit the 15 at Baker (Picture 4 Marker C)
, gas up and drive home.
Guaranteed to be a fun trip for all involved. Sign up in the thread below if you plan on coming, and please declare the waypoint you plan to initially meet the others at. If there are lots of folks coming from a particular direction, we can put in additional waypoints as needed.
Some pictures from last time to give you some idea!: