Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello pet lovers!

The topic of pets came up in a few threads and I had promised to start a dedicated "Pet" thread where everyone can share photos and stories of their pets.

Some stories that came up in the other threads: Alroumi has a story about how Tabasco sauce made his bird start talking! 412driver has a 21 year-old parrot called Zack who eats cheeseburgers and french fries and talks like a red-neck sailor! mtiede has a 37 year-old African Grey parrot - that's like 100 human years?!. Woolly can't stand cats and DesignoSLK wishes cats were more like dogs - meaowooff :biglaugh:

So I'll start things with photos of my small zoo.

This is Pooky, the 6 year-old female cockatiel who spent her first year making me believe he was a boy. Until he laid an egg!

Here are my beautiful babies Rachel (black) and Kathleen (grey)

And this is Uma the bunny, named after my favorite actress

See the resemblance? Hair, eyes, attitude?

Now it's your turn :)

·
Don - Founding Member #4
5,857 Posts
:biglaugh: I thought you would never ask to see pictures of our five kids.

Punkin -

Skunky -

Munchin -

Wally -

O -

·
Premium Member
1,358 Posts
I love this thread!! We are HUGE animal lovers. In fact, we have great recipes for cat that taste just like chicken. Sorry -1-, couldn't resist. We back our animal love with a few 4/5 figure donations a year, as well as some "sane" activist efforts. I will post some "staged" pictures with the Dane and 55 later in the week, but for now, here is my big boy. Like our cars, he is a world champ:

Pic 1: Marley the Great Dane hanging out in his pool back in Chicago. The neighborhood dogs were always jelous and stopped by often to play with the "king of the hood". That's a 23" collar!!
Pic 2: Watching our Rancho Sante Fe neighbor/friend Phil Mickelson and my father try their best at the Pebble Beach Pro-Am. (we didn't make it to the course that year due to my relo to AZ).
Pic 3: Me, Marley and his little bro Max just before Max passed. He was 16 when we had to put him down.

I also have pics somewhere of my late Green Wing Macaw "Tequila" that aren't on this PC. I have 6 in the house due to my job, and never remember which has what pics on them.

Any other big dog owners out there in SLKWorld??

Attachments

·
Founding member #7
2,151 Posts
I got our bird, Peck, when he was probably about a month old in 1970. At the time, we lived in Ghana, West Africa. I would frequently see African Greys flying over the house in flocks of about 30 to 50. Pretty cool sight to see and to hear as they whistled on their way by.

Once a fellow even asked for permission to catch them in the tree behind our house. It was interesting to see how he did it. He wove some long grass into rings which he put around the tree trunk forming a sort of ladder. Then he used the same leaves to build a "blind" up in the tree. He spread some sort of gray gunk on a branch by the blind. Then he put his own bird on the branch. As a flock flew over, his bird made a call and some of the flock came down to investigate and got caught in the gunk. Then the guy came out of the blind and pulled the bird out of the gunk and put it in a box. Only caught a few so had a minimum impact on the flock.

Our bird Peck was purchased in the market in Kumasi. You can almost buy ANYTHING there. There is a section for birds. Chickens, doves, guinea fowl, turkeys... and African Grey parrots. The guy there had about 200 birds in a very small cage. It had about 5 foot-high layers with lots of birds on each layer. Didn't look too good for them to me. Peck was in a separate cage since he was so young. I paid extra for him- $7 instead of the normal $6. I wasn't sure at first if he was really young or just sick or something :) He had some of the feathers on the wings and a little on the head, but the rest was downy fuzz. And he squawked all day long. He ate palm nuts (an extremely messy red oily nut) and Kenke (fermented corn meal).

The fellow who sold them at the market was a very old guy who had his own personal parrot that was the oldest African Grey I have ever seen, by far. When they are young, the iris is very dark so that you can hardly see the pupil. As they get older, the iris gets lighter and lighter until it is grey and they starts getting yellowish. This parrot's eyes were dark corn yellow. I assume the man had owned it his whole life. I jokingly offered to buy his parrot. I offered $10 and he refused. Then I kept upping the offer until I reached $100. That would have been like 3 months salary here. No deal. Yep, that was HIS bird.

Right after I bought Peck, I got malaria. I thought, "Oh great, I have parrot fever!" But luckily it was just malaria. When I first started having the fevers, I got out the Peace Corps' mimeograph sheet of diseases and guessed which one it was. (I had quarten (sp?) malaria and it didn't match the symptom list exactly). But eventually, I got that sorted out.

So Peck has been a great pet for all these years. He has never tried to fly. I cut his wings a couple of times when I first got him, but I was afraid I would cut something I shouldn't so I stopped doing that. When I take him out he will grab tight onto my fingers and flap away, but doesn't take off. We usually sit together for at least an hour every day as I rub his head and neck and around his eyes. Then he "preens" an old shirt I wear so he doesn't poke a hole in a good shirt.

He is a great whistler and talker. When we come home after work, we are greeted with a singsong, "Heeelllooo", "Hiiiiii".

We brought him home with us and he traveled around Europe a little with us on the way home. And then we used to travel with him around the States a little, but we don't take him anymore as we are worried that he would get injured or sick on the trips.

I think we got our money's worth out of him :)

So that is my pet story...

Attachments

·
Don - Founding Member #4
5,857 Posts
Thanks guys for sharing your pet photos & stories.

-1-, love your cats, especially Punkin and O. How did O get his/her name?
Thanks for your kind words. We love all FIVE. "O" is a female. She has a large "O" (design) on one side.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
haha great pics. My family are also big pet lovers. We have 5 dogs, 3 Jack Russels, 1 Springer Spaniel and a chewawah. 1 llama and a Fallbella horse. used to have a pot belly pig also, but he died unfortunately.
no pics im afraid! and i wont even promise i will put some up as i will never remember to take a camera out to feed my llama.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
We have 3 German Shepherds. Sadie and Kelly (litter mates) are 10 and Justice is 7. Kelly belonged to a friend who recently died. Her family was afraid of Kelly so my wife (also Kelly) and I adpopted her. She is fitting into the family quite well.

This video is a quick clip of Justice guarding John. John is the son of the man that is going to try to, "kidnap" him. You'll see that John is wearing a raincoat, it's not because it's raining, it's because Justice drools when he does this.

I hope this video link works, because I really don't know how to do it.......

·
Registered
90 Posts
Firstly...my previous dog Jake;

And then my current dog Biff (Same Breed - Airdale Terrier). The choice of Name was not my decision and partially explains where my User Name comes from. As my first dog was called Jake, I figured as a Big Blues Brothers fan, that the next dog I would have would have to be Elwood (Jake and Elwood we're the two main characters in the Blues brothers for those whom don't know). Anyways....I was over ruled and Biff it was, leading my chosen Elwood name in Limbo. So...rather than wait until I need to name another dog, I started using it as my Tag on MSN and Chat Rooms and use it now for just about everything online to give some anominity ( <--- Is that right?? Never could spell, but you get the Jist if it's wrong).

Will prob stop using elwood all together as my Tag when I get my next dog in hopefully many years time... A Giant Schnautzer.

Anyways...below is Biff;

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts
Cool to read everyone's stories and see the pix and vids of pets. :tu:

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Im a huge Blues Brothers Fan and have even performed as one on several occasions. Ill have to put it on you tube and then post it on here :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Im a huge Blues Brothers Fan and have even performed as one on several occasions. Ill have to put it on you tube and then post it on here :)
Nice one...Blues Brothers Rock. Still think the car chase is one of the best in a film....iconic. Not to mention the Music/Story etc...

Which one were you then?

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Finally got the dawgs to stan still, had to feed um. Winder had water on it, jus washed the sidin on the house winders were last. Ill git a pork chop an tie it round my neck an try to git a better pitur of them dawgs. :biglaugh::biglaugh: These dawgs was all orphaned by mean peepl, Mama is a donor site for bandoned critters an such. Have had up to 10 at one tym til we found homes for um. Thes is family now.

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts