Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member 2007 SLK55 AMG
3,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I believe if you haven't got one of these on your Engine, you haven't got an AMG, unless it was before 2003. The Sales people may have told you you have an AMG because its got an AMG branded Spoiler or Wheels but they are wrong.
The AMG brand looks like it is being diluted with nearly every Mercedes for Sale now days being an AMG.
Its all about the Engine.
If you had a White Ford Cortina with a Green Stripe it did not make it a Lotus Cortina, only if it had a Lotus Engine was it a Lotus Cortina.
A Red Kit car with a Ferrari badge is not a Ferrari.
Also if you had a Red Torino or any other Red car with a White Stripe you were not Starskey or Hutch.
I just thought I'd say.......:smile:

Attachments

·
Premium Member 2014 SLK55 AMG
900 Posts
Agreed. the most important badge on an AMG is the crafters badge

·
Registered 2005 SLK55 AMG
883 Posts
Agreed. The BMW owners always have the same discussion over the M badge. Pretty sure Audi owners will over the S Line badge etc etc.

·
Registered-sold my '55
905 Posts
I believe if you haven't got one of these on your Engine, you haven't got an AMG. The Sales people may have told you you have an AMG because its got an AMG branded Spoiler or Wheels but they are wrong.
The AMG brand looks like it is being diluted with nearly every Mercedes for Sale now days being an AMG.
Its all about the Engine.
If you had a White Ford Cortina with a Green Stripe it did not make it a Lotus Cortina, only if it had a Lotus Engine was it a Lotus Cortina.
A Red Kit car with a Ferrari badge is not a Ferrari.
Also if you had a Red Torino or any other Red car with a White Stripe you were not Starskey or Hutch.
I just thought I'd say.......:smile:

Surprised you haven't had your knuckles wrapped yet with that statement....I'll give it 24 hours before someone one this forum disagrees with you and tells you that the newly acclaimed C 45O,C43 and SLC 43 are true AMG's and the 'One Man, One Engine' philosophy is a thing of the past: its now about 'Driving Performance':laugh:

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
27,418 Posts
I had a look at buying a new SLK last year. Was gobsmacked to see nearly every model had an AMG version.
Even more shocked to find I could have a brand new 200 bluethingy AMG for a mere £26K, with extra goodies.

After a bit of homework on here I discovered the truth.
AMG badges galore, uprated shocks and such, but not an AMG engine.

Why MB didn't go for 'sports' or 'gt' to add the upgrades, lord only knows.

·
Registered 2002 SLK32 AMG
40 Posts
So as my SLK32 hasn't got the "handcrafted by" badge on it... ;)

(But I take your point, we used to have a stock 230 but specced by the PO with AMG dials and wheels...)

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG
1,724 Posts
Hi All

I have made this point before , Let see what the AMGPL do with these new models??

Cheers

Andy

·
Premium Member 2007 SLK55 AMG
3,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As I said, "Just saying" :wink:
I understand where Mercedes are going, they want to keep the price of their cars as high as possible so put a Premium Brand like AMG on their Premium Brand Cars and Hey Presto + £10,000. :grin:
Mercedes AMG A45 vs Ford Focus RS, the Mercedes is around £10,000 more:surprise: I must admit I don't now all there is to know about these Cars but they don't look much different to me. :laugh:

·
Registered
84 Posts
What

All very true...until, sadly, Mercedes decided to enter the posing game, too.
See discussion in this thread:
http://www.slkworld.com/2514313-post6.html

Hang on to the the 32's and 55's, gang.

Lets get one thing straight, Mercedes decides to add the AMG package who are you to say other wise? If a person who owns a Mercedes and decides to put an AMG badge on the truck who cares?? It's his or her car not yours and he or she has the right to add or stick anything they want on it.
LOL your an idiot for saying that Mercedes has joined the posing game.
Grow the heck up people This is suppose to be a place where people can go and discuss things and share their stories, pictures of their cars, problem solving .. etc. not a place where you can make fun of people.

·
Registered
579 Posts
"... not a place where you can make fun of people."
And you just called a member an idiot.
Nice.

AMG spent decades selling the hand-built "one man, one engine" aspect of the true AMG. The level of dissatisfaction expressed over on the AMG Private Lounge by many long-term AMG owners with their decision to grow market share at the expense of brand dilution is pretty loud.

But if plastic bits and a badge do it for you, go for it.

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
SO my wife's 02 SLK 32 AMG, sold to us used, with a title and registration that says SLK 32 AMG doesn't qualify if it doesn't have that plaque?

Hers doesn't. But the engine itself does say AMG on it.

So I guess that doesn't qualify. Title and engine.

Not ALL AMG's got that plaque. Though to be honest, there is one sticker on the inside of the front windshield that does say that with a signature on it.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,615 Posts
From what I was told by AMG, they did not keep records of who built each engine for model year 2002.
I think 03 up started having them.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,615 Posts
should have put that in the 'poser' section Daniel

·
Premium Member 2004 SLK32 AMG
5,268 Posts
SO my wife's 02 SLK 32 AMG, sold to us used, with a title and registration that says SLK 32 AMG doesn't qualify if it doesn't have that plaque?

Hers doesn't. But the engine itself does say AMG on it.

So I guess that doesn't qualify. Title and engine.

Not ALL AMG's got that plaque. Though to be honest, there is one sticker on the inside of the front windshield that does say that with a signature on it.
I DO believe all the 32's are true AMG's. One man one super engine!
32's rule??

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Yes, AMG's great cars, but I'm sorry to say the way the 'valve cover gaskets leak' (R171 55 AMG to my knowledge) I'm beginning to wonder if "AMG" doesn't stand for: "Atrociously Made Gaskets" According to my service invoice - mine were replaced just under 3,000 miles ago by an MB main dealer and they're leaking again, lol....A nyone M anage G luing their covers to stop the leaks? >:D

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.