Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep seeing a yellow R171 in sunburst yellow going south on I95 between Palm Coast abd Ormond Beach on weekday afternoons around 5pm. Can't tell what kind of 171 it is, just know it's a 171 of some sort since I'm always going the opposite direction during those times. If the owner is on this forum, I'd like to know if it came that way or was it repainted since I thought the 171 was not available in yellow from the factory.

It sure stands out when I see it, can't mistake the F1 nose on that thing.

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
Gorgeous , aren't they? I've only see one yellow R171 - was a '350 - and looked stunning in person.

I think it had a designo interior, but didn't pay enough attention or realize how rare it was at the time.

·
Don - Founding Member #4
5,857 Posts
:tu:Can't say I a big fan of the color yellow. But, I really like the look of a yellow vehicle. Back when the VW NewBeetle came out, my wife wanted one, and it had to be yellow.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,048 Posts
yes, i wanted a yellow SLK 55, and the only way in 2006 to get it was to order a designo option and then specify the colours....an $8000 option, and possibly also requiring EDC.

·
Premium Member
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I personally don't think the R171 body style looks good in yellow. I debated over this for quite a few months before I ended up going for the R170. For some reason the front end with the more rigid lines of the R171 's front fenders, hood, and nose isn't complemented correctly by this color. It looks great in all the others, however. But that's just a personal view. There's got to be a reason why MB stopped making it as a standard color for the R171 while it was the model color for the image on the front cover of the R170's manual :)

·
Premium Member
3,048 Posts
I personally don't think the R171 body style looks good in yellow. I debated over this for quite a few months before I ended up going for the R170. For some reason the front end with the more rigid lines of the R171 's front fenders, hood, and nose isn't complemented correctly by this color. It looks great in all the others, however. But that's just a personal view. There's got to be a reason why MB stopped making it as a standard color for the R171 while it was the model color for the image on the front cover of the R170's manual :)
It was a 1.)Marketing and 2.)Budgeting decision

1.) they wanted to focus the marketing towards males more and tried to remove all the potentially 'girly' colours (i guess MB got tired of hearing 'hair-dressers' cars when few 'hair-dressers' could actually afford them)
2.) Yellow was one of the least specified colours, and MB was on a big cost-cutting craze...trying to simplify ordering for the US market.

·
Founding Member
4,599 Posts
It was a 1.)Marketing and 2.)Budgeting decision

1.) they wanted to focus the marketing towards males more and tried to remove all the potentially 'girly' colours (i guess MB got tired of hearing 'hair-dressers' cars when few 'hair-dressers' could actually afford them)
2.) Yellow was one of the least specified colours, and MB was on a big cost-cutting craze...trying to simplify ordering for the US market.
I agree, the r170 was quoted as 'girly' in every car review I've read and some of the popular colors didn't help. I've only seen yellow r171 on car forums, have yet to see one in real life, yellow is a color you can only appreciate in reality, pics never do it justice. Yellow was one of my choices for the Porsche but ended up with black.

here are some pics on the internet,

·
Premium Member
3,048 Posts
I agree, the r170 was quoted as 'girly' in every car review I've read and some of the popular colors didn't help. I've only seen yellow r171 on car forums, have yet to see one in real life, yellow is a color you can only appreciate in reality, pics never do it justice. Yellow was one of my choices for the Porsche but ended up with black.

Damn...that's nice. Maybe i should have painted my car yellow instead...

·
Registered
1,123 Posts

Stuning, shocking should I say... I like it! :biglaugh:
It's probably a ticket magnet though. :tazz:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts