Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered 2005 SLK55 AMG
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope you like the videos. This Modification is an absolute must!!! I wish I had done it sooner. The sound quality doesn't really do the sound justice. But it gives you an idea.
The best part is start up and when you put your foot down. No annoying drone and just a perfect sound, which should have been done to the car to start with. Also sounds good when cruising but if you want to, you can drive normal and wouldn't even know.

10/10!!! :grin: >:D

( PS - I know I was hammering it on cold start but once won't hurt and it was for the viewers benefit, white smoke due to cold start)

Cold Start

Warm Start

Driving

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
hooooooooo-haaaaaaaaa

that gargles nicely.
BTW, you don't call your car Pepe, do you Phil? Seeing the number plate stuck that in my mind and I can't get it out now. so I'll share the mind-worm with you.:smile:

·
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that gargles nicely.
BTW, you don't call your car Pepe, do you Phil? Seeing the number plate stuck that in my mind and I can't get it out now. so I'll share the mind-worm with you.:smile:
Ha no I don't, it's my initials and the 55 for the engine :D

When are you getting yours done? Same place as mine?

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
25,540 Posts
Noooooo!

If the Bluebadger sees this my dreams are ruined.

I'm already in trouble for pulling away two streets from the house.
Wasn't even being aggressive.

Maybe I can get BB to not like Phil and block his posts?
Then she won't see this.....

Mindworms, wonderful creatures.

·
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Haha :D I actually knocked on my neighbours door and told him I was making a video. Incase his Kids were in bed. I'm a good neighbour :D

·
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Haha made my self laugh then. I told him, I didn't ask >:D Great Neighbour >:D

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts
How does this (exhaust sound quality) compare with just a plain X-pipe (e.g., Supersprint X-pipe) without the secondary cat (catalytic converters) being deleted? Anyone have the chance to hear and compare both (plain X-pipe vs X-pipe+secondary cat delete) at the same setting?

I am thinking of just The SuperSprint X-pipe to replace the resonator but leave the secondary catalytic converters because of stricter AQMD (Air Quality Management Department) requirements in California.

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG
11,284 Posts
How does this (exhaust sound quality) compare with just a plain X-pipe (e.g., Supersprint X-pipe) without the secondary cat (catalytic converters) being deleted? Anyone have the chance to hear and compare both (plain X-pipe vs X-pipe+secondary cat delete) at the same setting?

I am thinking of just The SuperSprint X-pipe to replace the resonator but leave the secondary catalytic converters because of stricter AQMD (Air Quality Management Department) requirements in California.
Eddy

Here in the UK Midlands we have different members with setups comparable to what you're asking (but not with Supersprint), but not sure how best to convey that comparison to you...

Andy ( @ZeroZero ) has a Magnaflow x-pipe in place of the centre resonator, but still has his secondary cats in place. @Col and @ANG55AMG (Angelo) have the same Magnaflow x-pipe instead of the centre resonator, but both Col and Angelo have also had their secondary cats removed.

I've also had similar to Col and Angelo (x-pipe and 2nd cat delete), but with custom x-pipe (similar to Phil's), and you'll find a link to a video of my before and after in my signature.

The only thing we don't have is a recording of Andy's, which is closer to the setup that you're considering...

I'd describe it as somewhere between OEM and the results that the rest of us have (me, Col, Angelo, Phil), as you might expect. I'd say it's definitely worth doing, as it does add a little more of a growl than stock.

Hope that helps... :)

·
1,722 Posts
Hi All
Did some say ZeroZero video , This is a cold start

Cheers

Andy

·
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
467 Posts

I did supersprint x pipe before I did headers & racing cats / secondary delete. Just the x pipe was minor.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts

·
11,284 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Eddy

Here in the UK Midlands we have different members with setups comparable to what you're asking (but not with Supersprint), but not sure how best to convey that comparison to you...

Andy ( @ZeroZero ) has a Magnaflow x-pipe in place of the centre resonator, but still has his secondary cats in place. @Col and @ANG55AMG (Angelo) have the same Magnaflow x-pipe instead of the centre resonator, but both Col and Angelo have also had their secondary cats removed.

I've also had similar to Col and Angelo (x-pipe and 2nd cat delete), but with custom x-pipe (similar to Phil's), and you'll find a link to a video of my before and after in my signature.

The only thing we don't have is a recording of Andy's, which is closer to the setup that you're considering...

I'd describe it as somewhere between OEM and the results that the rest of us have (me, Col, Angelo, Phil), as you might expect. I'd say it's definitely worth doing, as it does add a little more of a growl than stock.

Hope that helps... :)
It's the 2.5" version you need for the R171 SLK 55 AMG... are you going to have the secondary cats removed too (mine sailed through the UK MOT without them)?
http://www.slkworld.com/united-kingdom-region/249185-another-uk-mot-passed-x-pipe-2nd-cat-delete.html
:D
Thanks for the info David. I would like to fit just the X-Pipe like you said: (Andy ( @ZeroZero ) has a Magnaflow x-pipe in place of the centre resonator, but still has his secondary cats in place. @Col and @ANG55AMG (Angelo) have the same Magnaflow x-pipe instead of the centre resonator)
I just want to intensify the growl a smidgen, and I quite like the sound of Andy's (Zero Zero) I heard Sean Ashton's, Davie's and Davet4s at our meet the other week, and they "scared the crap outta me" (I know, I'm a wimp :crying:) If I grow some bigger 'round thingy's' later, I can always delete the cat's. :frown: I don't suppose you know where Andy got his Magnaflow, as I've looked on Ebay and they only have 2.25" and 3"....Terence....:nerd:

·
11,284 Posts
Thanks for the info . . . . .

. . . . .
I don't suppose you know where Andy got his Magnaflow, as I've looked on Ebay and they only have 2.25" and 3"....Terence....:nerd:
You're welcome Terence! The good news is that you've heard both options now, so you know what you want. I had to make my decision after only hearing Andy's, but I am pleased with the choice I made. >:D

I don't know where Andy got his Magnaflow x-pipe from, but I think that Col (and possibly others) bought theirs on eBay. The one you need is the "Magnaflow Stainless Steel X-Pipe Exhaust Pipe Crossover 2.5" 10791", like this one that's being sold by a non-UK seller at the moment:
Magnaflow Stainless Steel X-Pipe Exhaust Pipe Crossover 2.5" 10791

There are UK sellers of Magnaflow bits, but I also don't see this particular x-pipe available in the UK on eBay at the moment. Perhaps contact one of the UK sellers that have a different size for sale, and ask them if they have the 2.5" version (Magnaflow part 10791) available, or if they'll be getting any in stock anytime soon.

Failing that, perhaps an exhaust shop near to you could supply and fit one for you, as there is some cutting and welding needed to get it fitted?

Good luck! :tu:

·
11,284 Posts
Couple of vids of mine :)
. . . . .
That's great camera placement to capture the sound with x-pipe & secnd cat dleete in that second video! That's the best representation of the actual sound that I've heard captured on a video so far! In fact, it may even be a little quieter from the drivers seat, but that gives a great idea of what it sounds like from behind! >:D

1 - 20 of 42 Posts