Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello y’all.
In a previous post I indicated I wanted to have my aluminum console anodized; That is not possible as there is a layer of aluminum on top of plastic.
It is a matter of personal taste, but I never liked aluminum parts in cars.
So my plan is to wrap the console. Looking at some utubes I think it is not that difficult to remove the center console. Those aluminum parts in the doors can be wrapped without removing the door panels as I heve no electric seat buttons there.
I must say I buid models, and adding the wrap must be doable for me. I am not a mechanic or an electrician, but I only have to disconnect some connectors to take the console out.

Wrapping the console will protect the console. The wrapping can always be removed if I would want to someday or by a future owner.
I ordered a roll of black aluminum imitating an anodized look. I bought a roll of a brand 3M and not the cheap stuff. I have consideren the carbon look but I wanted something different. If for some reason I do not like it I will remove the wrap.

I ordered enough to do the console twice in case the first attempt fails plus plenty to try wrapping some random things.
The wrapping should come in next week. I will post pictures and my experiences and of course the end result.

Jan

·
Registered
133 Posts
Wrapping really isn't hard as long as you have a heat source like a heat gun or hairdryer. Then an Exacto knife to cut around the edges once you have it in place is all you should need. The tough part is cutting around buttons that can't be removed. I have done several of my cars including the dash on my r171. Regarding removing it later, it depends as to whether it will leave the dash unharmed. On the r171 the dash pieces are actually coated with a slightly rubbery paint. This definitely comes off if you remove the wrap. I actually removed all of the paint coating first before wrapping mine so it would adhere better. Hopefully, they haven't used that type of coating on the r172.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow that looks good.
The R172 has no coating on the console as you indicate so I can go back if I want to.
The most difficult part will be top left and right corners.
So I am practicing on a glases casing. It has a bit the same corners. The wrap I have now is for softer corners.
After 5 tests I think I got it. So I will remove the console. I will do some more tests but I ordered a more flexible carbon like wrap and see if it bends areound the corners easier

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, it is done. I had enough material to do some testing first. I put on the carbon version as I liked it better than the black anodized one.
Removing the console is not so hard. I can say it is very good engineered and good quality plastic. It is exactely like on the U-tube video. I had it out in 10 minutes. About 4 connectors to unplug and it’s done.

I looked at some internet instruction videos on how to wrap. The practicing is necessary.
The result?
Well it is not perfect, hard to see but you can feel on 3 places some very fine wrinkels. I asked a professional of a price and he wanted 300 €. It is done now for 70€. I am pretty happy with it.
More pics when installed back into tue car.

One more extra: I bought a red EL wire which is a glowing red LED line. Looked very good holding it around the console. As the console was out it is pretty easy to install this one as well. Looks exactely like the original ambient light.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And installed.
It is fairly straight forward.
I also wrapped the aluminum areas in the doors without removing them.

But it seems that the heating unit does not work??? The lights on it are working so the connector is plugged in. I can feel the heat increase at the windshield but looks like the fan does not engage.
I hope I can fix this.
All,the rest works fine

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Looks excellent! It sounds like a loose connection somewhere with regard to your heater fan issue? Is it a single connector for the whole of the climate control unit?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I took the console off again. I thought I had both connectors plugged in. But there was a third connector I did not see in the heating unit only..
All fine now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts