Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered 2005 SLK55 AMG
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well 6am was wakey, wakey time so jump up get ready to go. Open the door and...... it's starting to snow! Oh well it's only 280 miles away off we go :grin:

To be honest travelling there in mrs W's SLK 250 was a pleasure, quick enough, quiet, comfortable (and above all warm!!). After a 30/45 minute stop for some brekkie it's off again and after a brisk(ish) 300 odd minutes we arrive at Snippersgate.

Well what can I say? There are a lot of nice toys there but obviously all of my attention is on one thing - the mystic blue SLK55.

First thoughts?

In the flesh it does look good - there are some stone-chips (you've got to expect that on a 12 y/o car) and in fairness although it isn't fully valeted is is clean enough (interior to be honest is spotless). Have a looksee around everything else seems to tie-up. All the paperwork seems to be in order ok... let's try for a test drive.

Ed will drive it out and down the road leaving me to drive back - it's not a long test drive but it is long enough (and to be fair the offer is there for longer should I want it). So key goes in, pumps prime and all of a sudden a giant is clearing its throat. Wow this exhaust they've swapped over really does sound the business! On the road however while I'd not go as far as to say that it's actually quiet inside the car it's certainly not obtrusive. Score one. The ride is firmer than the 250 but still comfortable - the seats are lovely and snug (well maybe not snug but I'm just fat).

Ok I'm sold!

now to drive back... I actually prefer the ride of the 55. Yes it is firmer but I'm really used to firm rides so really nice.

Open the taps...... ooooh that's nice.

Open a little more -

it accelerates quickly but (other than the noise) very little drama (the Lightning just pushed you back in your seat) but to be fair I've not really pushed it yet - weather is not really conducive towards enthusiastic acceleration :grin:

So thoughts after 280 miles back...

you can hear the exhaust in another car above the noise of a load stereo
the seats are great
the dials are good
the cd is quite good and LOUD (the exhaust is louder!)
accelerating from 70(ish) is just giggle inducing - the noise is incredible!
there are cold spots in the cabin
there is a squeal in the cabin (from the fan?)

If this is a hairderesser's car I'd hate to meet said hairdresser!!
there is a rubbery(?) squeak in the cabin
I need to RTFMso I can learn how to do stuff

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,571 Posts
Vehicle: 2012 R172 250 CDi AMG :D Time to update yet?

·
Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
13,274 Posts
First thought re: the squeek: your seat(s) were pushed back to the bulkhead. Move them forward a quarter inch or so (so they clear) and the squeek is gone.

Strange the muffler was louder than the music. Must not have the music turned up enough :wink:

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
27,370 Posts
I thought 55 exhausts were the music.

You mean that we have a stereo too?:surprise:

The limits to the 55 are truly boundless>:D

·
13,274 Posts
I thought 55 exhausts were the music.

You mean that we have a stereo too?:surprise:

The limits to the 55 are truly boundless>:D
I have to admit, we are truly blessed being able to drive the hallowed 55 :rockon:

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG
1,724 Posts
Hi All

Yes the first long drive in a 55 that's one to keep & tell the kids about over & over again . Welcome to the 'smile for no reason club' (as you just sit there & thinking about the next ride out in your SLK 55) .

Cheers

Andy

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,400 Posts
The rubber seals of the roof may need some TLC (i.e., Krytox or Gummi Pflege).

·
Registered 2005 SLK55 AMG
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
as an aside I don't think that 29.7 was too bad for the trip (I suspect it'll be unlikely to get that high again - but that's a totally different story!!)

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
Welcome to the stupid grin club:laugh:

My wife says I also reserve a specific deep mini laugh which only appears when I hit the loud pedal :surprise::laugh:

Enjoy!!

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG
1,724 Posts
Hi All
The 55 crowd keep quite about the MPG for this car , but not for the reason your thinking , Think about it , Its a SLK for one , It's got the V8 engine , Its sound out of this world (with a little mod) & on top of all that you can still hit 30 MPG , Now in my books there taking the p*** & there rubbing your nose in it . I always stop at the first , maybe a knowing smile .

Cheers

Andy

·
13,274 Posts
as an aside I don't think that 29.7 was too bad for the trip (I suspect it'll be unlikely to get that high again - but that's a totally different story!!)
If you can avoid stop 'n go traffic, I get 40 mpg (imperial, not U.S.) doing 62 mph (top up, a/c off, windows closed, in "granny" -->C<--mode) on the highway.

Fuel economy should NOT be a reason for buying this beauty. Consider it a nice perk :laugh:

·
Premium Member 2007 SLK55 AMG
3,559 Posts
When you have cleaned it and touched every part of it you need to create an Album.
Also see if you can add yourself to the Maguires visit, it is very good. 20th Feb, short notice I know but I learned quite a bit. See UK Region.

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
27,370 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
:woot::Banane04::Banane17::woot:

Would love to hear what they have done to it in the flesh >:D

Look forward to seeing it at a future meet? :grin:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.