Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered 2007 SLK200
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just got back what could possibly be one of the worst 5 hours of my life. I wish this was all a bad dream but its not :(

Woke up this morning feeling really good, today is the day I pick up my new bike which i have been waiting for a couple of weeks and also the day I finish my exam.

Went to dealer to pick up my bike and it started raining, not a big deal ill just be careful on my way to uni. Well the worst possible thing happen on the way home,

I was riding on a stretch of road (doing about 60km/h) which has a fairly wide right curve towards the end of it. I tip my bike in and next thing I know I was sliding about 100m across the road. I had only rode maybe 1km from the dealer and I just dropped my brand new bike. Oh and I also missed my exam, hopefully I should be able to do.

And I guess no injury beside slight bruises and scrapes.

What I am feeling now cannot be described with words....

I guess I learnt that wet road + brand new tyre = no grip.

</rant>

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
Glad to hear you not too badly hurt. I always scrub new bike tyres with a bit of fine wet & dry paper to help remove the release agent. They can be totally unpredictable in the dry, let alone wet. I still can't figure out why the tyre manufacturers supply them without cleaning them first (for those who don't know, a release agent is used in the mold to allow the tyre to be removed during manufacture - unfortunately this compound gives you very little grip, so new tyres are meant to be gently scrubbed in for the 1st hundred miles or so).

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,560 Posts
I am glad you are ok. My friend had a new bike and travelling through winding roads in georgia and took a banked turn and experienced what u did and if not for the guard rail would have went over a 1000 foot cliff.

·
Registered 2007 SLK200
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, have had time to cool down and went through the incident in my head a couple of times. It was indeed an expensive lesson to learn and I will definitely scrub the tyres when i get my bike back (hopefully in a month or so)

Lucky for me too there was no cars on opposing lane as i went through to the other side.

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
As others have said, important bit is that your are not hurt - bike bits can be replaced, your fingers, toes, arms and legs are a bit more difficult!

·
Thread Hijacker
2,798 Posts
This was the brand new Duke? I'm sorry about the bike, but thankful you are alright. Just to share some hope, when I left college I moved from Colorado to Texas. I left my GPZ with a friend who had a two rail trailer. He promised to bring it along to our future home in a couple weeks, as I had to drive my car. In return, I told him he could ride it, as he only owned a small scooter. He showed up two weeks later with something that no longer resembled a motorcycle. It looked more like a block of metal that had been run through a junkyard metal crusher...

He had driven it through a guard-rail at about 60 mph. He'd been thrown over the bars into the trees below and went through it without a scratch.

We spent the summer rebuilding the bike (insurance bought me a new one, but let me keep the old one). When we finished, it was as good as new, maybe better, as we made some mods to the pipes, etc. Bottom line, as long as your were unhurt, that bike can be fixed...

·
Registered
297 Posts
The important thing is that you´re ok, but in the next days you´ll shake a little when getting near the bike.

keep safe!

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,400 Posts
Sorry to hear RaihaX but very glad to know you're fine. The bike can be fixed. Hope you do well on the make-up exam.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
That it sad to hear. It could have been worse though. I have several friends lose their lives in freak motorcycle accidents. Hopefully you can make something positive from it. Never forget to respect the bike and the danger in riding the beast. If that keeps you alive, then the money spent fixing your bike is inconsequential. :tu:

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Third that, glad you're OK.

·
Premium Member 2017 SLC 300 Founding member #7
2,158 Posts
My brother used to have a BMW R60 (I think ). He is super conservative and safe when driving anything. I know that he went down several times and it just goes to show that it could happen at unexpected times that aren't reckless.

I guess that is one of the reasons I like the 4 wheels of the SLK.

Sorry for the damage to the bike. I know it must be disappointing.

·
Registered 2007 SLK200
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Damn thats even worst DJ not even your fault :(. And yeah brand new bike from the dealer less then 5 mins old with 3km on the clock :)

Yeah I definitely have lost a bit of confidence with my riding ability (I guess thats a good thing I won't be doing anything stupid for a while).

I definitely was lucky (i have had 4 down walked away without a scratch on all of them), drove pass the place i went down this morning on the way to work.... could have been a lot worst....

Thanks for the comments people :)

D

·
0 Posts
Sorry mate, i dropped a bike on mine when i was still wet behind the ears, dry day with a rain shower equals a slick road surface, made me realize that i ain't as clever as i thought, broke my collar bone but it healed up nice and the good thing about bikes especially when you lie them down is they are fairly easy to fix, next time you will be more careful and the bike will be back good as new in no time so don't sweat it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.