Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've currently got a Landrover Freelander for the odd bits of work I do (and keeping the SLK off the salty roads over winter) - I was thinking about swapping it for a 'second hand' new Freelander, but now I'm thinking about swapping it for one of the last of the 'old' ML's - would anyone here consider buying a 5yo ML??

·
Registered
279 Posts
I won't

it's pricy on the old ones, gear box, tranfer problems, and it's not so good on the snow . . . I prefer a toy, a land, or a GL

your freelander was a V6 ?

·
17,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
your freelander was a V6 ?
No, a 1.8 petrol - head gasket went the day after I bought it (about a year ago), replaced under warranty, - I've now done about 40k miles on it, and still waiting for it to fail, feel the need to change it, but (touch wood), it never goes wrong??

·
17,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rather you get a Landcruiser, the ML is not bad but you could do better.
I just want a 'disposable' work car - 4wd to get me to some of the sites I go to, not so good that I get 'precious' over it - happy driving in mud/salt etc. - looking to spend about 15K GBP on it, and if I can get a year out of it, then it will have paid for itself - might just keep the current Landy, coz it refuses to die ???

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK55 AMG
3,054 Posts
I'd recommend a 'simpler' car for a work car. I had the first generation ML and looked at quite a few second gen cars as well. they are pretty straight forward cars, lot's of stuff you can do yourself on them, and pretty nice, but still it's got lot's of little electronics and gadgets that you probably won't need, that might break/wear out with heavy use.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Im picking up a 2006 ML next week as my second car so I'll let you know how I get on with it. The reason I got it is that is does 'the other things' that the SLK doesn't.

BTW I'll be posting some pics soon. I've just come back from germany with a 'was shiney' new SLK!! R)

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
I'm a big believer in the "drive it 'till it dies" for work transport. I've owned both a D90 and a Rangie, and loved both of 'em. The guy I got the D90 from already had the "Keep the oily side down" sticker on it! :)

·
Thread Hijacker
2,798 Posts
Do that - if the vehicle has been faithful to you, it deserves your loyalty.

Why look for problems?
I'm a big believer in the "drive it 'till it dies" for work transport. I've owned both a D90 and a Rangie, and loved both of 'em. The guy I got the D90 from already had the "Keep the oily side down" sticker on it! :)
I'm in line with both of these guys. Keep what you have, and replace it when necessary. If you didn't already have the Landrover, I'd say get the ML. But if the LR is working, I stick with it.

Now if you just want an ML, then get that as well.... :biglaugh:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.