Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
**Registered 2009 SLK200
5,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Client of mine bought a 172 250cdi AMG spec fully serviced and fresh mot .
Less than 700 miles if that and brake warning on dashboard comes up ......
Brake warning !

Yes you guessed front brakes worn .
So much for the full service :grin:

So a phone call and the dealer ( not a genuine mercedes dealership ) insisted cheap aftermarket parts fitted and would so call pay the bill .

Well genuine parts are being fitted and paying the extra out of there pocket .

So morale of story when they say a service and mot it means ............not a lot .
And give me your money .

·
*Registered
SLK Disposed of
310 Posts
Client of mine bought a 172 250cdi AMG spec fully serviced and fresh mot .
Less than 700 miles if that and brake warning on dashboard comes up ......
Brake warning !

Yes you guessed front brakes worn .
So much for the full service :grin:

So a phone call and the dealer ( not a genuine mercedes dealership ) insisted cheap aftermarket parts fitted and would so call pay the bill .

Well genuine parts are being fitted and paying the extra out of there pocket .

So morale of story when they say a service and mot it means ............not a lot .
And give me your money .
I think the morale is find a better garage or use a Main dealer.

·
**Registered 2009 SLK200
5,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think the morale is find a better garage or use a Main dealer.
Client was after a particular model spec and colour and they at the time had it as as most have found out once your outta the showroom its wash your hands of you so to speak .
But they did compensate my client or i hope they have .

But did not want to pay genuine amg break pads / sensor prices . :frown:

·
*Registered
2017 SLC43
1,903 Posts
I'm slightly confused as to what you understand by fully serviced.

A full service at a Mercedes dealer would note the condition of the brake pads and they would probably suggest that you change them, but the brake pads themselves are not a standard service item. So a car could be serviced to schedule and have badly worn brake pads.

I'm 100% certain that if I was returning my car to Mercedes at the end of the lease, I would not pay for the brake linings to be replaced.

I think your client was very lucky that he was 'compensated'. Worth pointing out that if you're buying a 'fully serviced' car to get a check on the brake linings before you agree to buy it, because I certainly don't think it's valid to go back later and complain about it any more than I would the depth of tread on the tyres.

·
**Registered 2009 SLK200
5,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The car was sold to a woman and the garage told her the car would be fully seviced and a new fresh mot done on that day so to speak .

And brake pads to be checked / a visual on a service is part of a service the last time I checked . ( It's one of the most important things on a car )

You don't expect for example if you took your car in to be serviced and less than 600 miles later a warning light saying brakes need attention take to dealership to be rectified .

And pay again ??

What kind of service have they done or what exactly have you paid for ?

Stern words were said to dealership and as usual a fob off was mentioned by them.
Typical salesman talk garbage .

But they paid as they knew they were in the wrong .

When you pay a shed load of ££$$$$ you expect some kind of service .

Also
The mot test should have pulled up on a failed brake pads worn !
or even brake pads below 3mm and list it as an advisery on the sheet .

And suggest it needs doing very soon .

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG
11,537 Posts
I'm not sure that the MOT checks the amount left on the brake pads... Doesn't it just check the braking efficiency, and pass that part of the test if it's within specific parameters? - I'm sure someone with knowledge of that must be here, and could confirm, if necessary.

Also, "full service" can mean many different things. It may only mean an oil and filter change in some circumstances, although I would at least expect the condition of the brakes (and some other critical items) to have been checked and reported on.

I guess the lesson from this is to always check exactly what was (and wasn't) done when a car being sold is advertised as having had a "full service". :)

Reactions: Delucas

·
**Registered 2009 SLK200
5,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not sure that the MOT checks the amount left on the brake pads... Doesn't it just check the braking efficiency, and pass that part of the test if it's within specific parameters? - I'm sure someone with knowledge of that must be here, and could confirm, if necessary.

Also, "full service" can mean many different things. It may only mean an oil and filter change in some circumstances, although I would at least expect the condition of the brakes (and some other critical items) to have been checked and reported on.

I guess the lesson from this is to always check exactly what was (and wasn't) done when a car being sold is advertised as having had a "full service". :)
Brakes if visible can fail an mot and also be an advise if low and put on the advisory sheet .

Id expect a car to be sold and driven of the forecourt to be safe and have some kind of inspection before being handed over the keys .

It pays to bring someone along with knowledge to check car over even if the car is quite new .

And take what they say with a pinch of salt . :grin:

·
*Registered
2017 SLC43
1,903 Posts
Brakes if visible can fail an mot and also be an advise if low and put on the advisory sheet .

Id expect a car to be sold and driven of the forecourt to be safe and have some kind of inspection before being handed over the keys .
At what point do you think the brake wear warning light comes on? About 5mm of pad looking at the Skoda ones I've just changed.

So the MOT tester wouldn't be issuing any advisories for low brake pads because when the brake pads are low they trigger the warning light and a warning light fails the MOT.

An MOT test is only an indication of the state of the vehicle on the day it was tested. You can't rely on it as an indication of road-worthiness further on in time.

The car was safe (it had 700 miles worth of brakes left) and it had been inspected. I would not expect anyone selling a car to point out that although the brakes worked today, they would need replacing in the future. As you point out, it's worth checking high-cost maintenance items before you buy. Did the dealership have a lift you could get the car up on to inspect the exhaust, dampers, springs and brakes or are you going to continue to take it back when these wear out?

Sorry if this seems a bit rough on your client, but caveat emptor applies now and it always has.

·
Banned
2013 SLK55 AMG
1,901 Posts
Had my R171 serviced at MB last week, came with an advisory sheet "Additional Comments", brakes, tyre wear, filters etc. ..... "brake discs minimum 26mm, mine 26.1 and 26.2"
........looks like new front discs and pads in the near future.......?
But....they pointed it out to me.

TonyS

·
**Registered 2009 SLK200
5,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
At what point do you think the brake wear warning light comes on? About 5mm of pad looking at the Skoda ones I've just changed.

So the MOT tester wouldn't be issuing any advisories for low brake pads because when the brake pads are low they trigger the warning light and a warning light fails the MOT.

An MOT test is only an indication of the state of the vehicle on the day it was tested. You can't rely on it as an indication of road-worthiness further on in time.

The car was safe (it had 700 miles worth of brakes left) and it had been inspected. I would not expect anyone selling a car to point out that although the brakes worked today, they would need replacing in the future. As you point out, it's worth checking high-cost maintenance items before you buy. Did the dealership have a lift you could get the car up on to inspect the exhaust, dampers, springs and brakes or are you going to continue to take it back when these wear out?

Sorry if this seems a bit rough on your client, but caveat emptor applies now and it always has.
The mentioned car has nothing to do with me i just advise her etc
She was told the car would have a full service and a new mot done on it before she picked the car up .

So being a woman
When she is told it will come with a full service and new mot you should expect that an item as simple as brakes would be noted or replaced or done .

If you took your wifes car in as an example for a full service and mot and paid x amount for it and the brake warning fault come on dash saying it needs front brakes after she has driven less than 700 miles would you not think what the hell did i pay them to do .??

Or question did they not check the brakes as part of the service and advise me .?

Any garage working on cars can tell you that your brakes are going need doing in about a month or x amount of miles .

Half the journey back for her was motorway miles with hardly any braking applied so the brakes were very very low at the time of the service and mot .

And i advise her next time a fault goes on her car it wont be driven back for them to resolve it unless a major fault covered under warranty .
But then what is covered . :wink:

·
*Registered
2017 SLC43
1,903 Posts
The mentioned car has nothing to do with me i just advise her etc
She was told the car would have a full service and a new mot done on it before she picked the car up .
And I think we've established that brake pads are not part of a standard service and (so that may well have been done correctly) and that if the car stopped properly for an MOT test, it was legal and 'safe' the day she picked it up.

Delucas said:
So being a woman
That's not really relevant as I'm not mechanically competent to do the work but I can read a service schedule and if she's spending a relatively large amount of money on something she should know what she's buying by doing a bit of research. And certainly, you, as someone who is advising this lady, should know what is and isn't covered in a service schedule.

Delucas said:
When she is told it will come with a full service and new mot you should expect that an item as simple as brakes would be noted or replaced or done.
Hang on, what evidence was there that the service wasn't done? None. But why would a dealer replace brake pads if they didn't need replacing? You and I wouldn't replace the brake pads on a car we were selling unless someone pointed it out at a very thorough inspection. Your client bought an expensive car without thoroughly checking it over. I thought that was the point of your original post.

Delucas said:
If you took your wifes car in as an example for a full service and mot and paid x amount for it and the brake warning fault come on dash saying it needs front brakes after she has driven less than 700 miles would you not think what the hell did i pay them to do .??

Or question did they not check the brakes as part of the service and advise me .?
Well, SWMBO takes her own car in to the dealer for servicing and the relationship between the car owner and the service department is radically different to that between the prospective car buyer and the sales department. If SWMBO was going to buy a car and she took it to the dealer's service department and paid them to check it over THEN. I'd be freaking out if the brakes weren't pointed out, but no car salesman is going to point out the defects in a car they are trying to sell. It's just not going to happen.

Delucas said:
Any garage working on cars can tell you that your brakes are going need doing in about a month or x amount of miles.
Yes, and it's in their interest to do so. They'll tell you ALL the things that are wrong with a car because they want you to pay them to put it right. It's completely different to when you buy a car. They won't mention any of the same things then.

Delucas said:
Half the journey back for her was motorway miles with hardly any braking applied so the brakes were very very low at the time of the service and mot.
No one is arguing that the brakes didn't need doing very soon. As you correctly point out in your opening post, there are things you should check out BEFORE you buy the car. The service and MOT would also check the light bulbs, exhaust, dampers and springs but any one of those things could fail soon after she bought the car and you'd still have zero recourse to complain about it. If you buy a used car you're buying someone else's old rubbish that they've gotten rid of. You need to be aware that you are not buying a new car that should be fault free for a reasonable period (3 years?) and you just have to look at everyone on here that comes on and posts a couple of times with a 2011 or 2012 car to know that these cars have lots of minor faults soon after the warranty expires.

Delucas said:
And i advise her next time a fault goes on her car it wont be driven back for them to resolve it unless a major fault covered under warranty .
But then what is covered . :wink:
And I think there would be a reasonable number of people who would advise her to pay for an inspection before she buys a used car next time. The £200 that costs would probably have picked up the £230 brake lining replacement and who knows what else?

·
Registered
500 Posts
@Delucas: There seems to be a bit of difference in expectations at play here, as reasonable people we would like (expect) dealers to act when service items are very close to their end of life, but the MOT requirements are binary, either pass or fail, I guess that's why they introduced the advisory category. I have found that when being serviced by a main dealer MB, BMW and others are generally keen to let owners know when service items require replacement imminently as most people will just go with the flow and get the work done, thus generating work (and cash) for themselves.

When I bought Otto second hand from a MB dealership he had been shod with new brake pads all around and new rear tyres. I don't know what state they were in before it got him but the work had been done before he was ever put up for sale and that was exactly as I would have liked. After all MB approved used cars do attract a price premium for their "previously loved" vehicles :smile:

Independent dealers are probably working on a much smaller profit margin than MB ones and may economise on their preparation for resale costs. I think your friend was very fortunate that the dealer did the decent thing and replaced the brake pads... it's what reasonable people would expect but unfortunately they weren't under any legal obligation to do it (a moral one maybe).

The point you and wja96 seem to be bringing home loud and clear is that you need to be be a savvy buyer, if you don't know enough about cars to establish the state of a vehicle, you need to get it inspected by an expert body... before you purchase.

Thank you for flagging this up, it is indeed a cautionary tale... Buyer beware!

·
*Registered
SLK Disposed of
310 Posts
Been to my local garage today to book my daughters car in for M.O.T and full SERVICE (Village garage) used for years know be buy name now. SLK will be serviced buy main dealer as I have a service plain but he will be doing my VW, I asked him what he would do. M.O.T. brakes only have to stop on the thing they use can't remember what is was called, no visual check if it stopped OK. (Full service) full strip down of brakes cleaned and checked, greased, discs checked and so on.
Small service and intermittent brakes not checked may be this will help may be not.

·
*Registered
SLK Disposed of
310 Posts
I think it will be down to the garage the one I use is just a small village garage about £30 a hour but has served me well over the years. (may let them do the MOT and may be a few small jobs but service will be done at a MS dealer).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.