Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if its possible to remove the wood grain trim from an slk and replace it with an aluminum package or something just plain black even? And what might this cost? Thanks!

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,317 Posts
update your vehicle in your profile so i can tell you about the trim at slkstore.com!

Please update your vehicle (model and year) in your profile as it helps the members answer your questions which usually are based on that information.
‘Usercp’ at the top left of page, then ‘edit your details’ on the left side, ‘additional information’ near the bottom, edit your ‘vehicle’.

Thank you,
Jeff
Founding Member/Moderator

·
Don - Founding Member #4
5,857 Posts
:)Vehicle information please. It and your physical location are important when responding to questions. I assume you're talking about the factory wood trim on a R171? Best bet would swapping trim with another member if both agree. Removal could be tedious to prevent damage. Steering wheels with air bags would also need to be switched. Not a big fan of the wood trim on the R171, but considering the hassle to switch, you might learn to like it. I like the look of the wood trim on the new R172.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
O sorry guys! It's on an SLK55 AMG, but I havent bought it yet. The steering wheel appears to be the normal one, so that wouldn't need to be switched.

·
97,317 Posts
ahhhh, that makes sense. put in there something like, 'slk 55 one day'. then we can stop asking. but be aware, that every question you ask, is usually, year and model and location specific.

·
Don - Founding Member #4
5,857 Posts
Does anyone know if its possible to remove the wood grain trim from an slk and replace it with an aluminum package or something just plain black even? And what might this cost? Thanks!
O sorry guys! It's on an SLK55 AMG, but I havent bought it yet. The steering wheel appears to be the normal one, so that wouldn't need to be switched.
:confused:I'm confused, so let's recap. The R 171 SLK 55 is/was only available with aluminum trim other than the carbon fiber standard on the 030 package (excluding designo package). Do you want to switch to wood trim? Factory or after market?

·
97,317 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Haha the trim is actually starting to grow on me, still would prob prefer just a regular one.

:)Ah, it's very clear to me now. That's a designo package SLK 55 with standard wood trim. That's the only exception. Beautiful SLK 55, great price. Don't let it get away & keep the trim, keep the trim....

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ya, I'll probably just leave it honestly, I called a dealership and they said its 300 bucks just for one door grab haha.

·
Founding Member
4,599 Posts
The designo wood package is too bright, I prefer the standard wood on the 350.

Wood is getting outdated on modern sports cars, it was once cool, so I thought it was in 2005 when I ordered mine. It's expensive to get it swapped out, cheapest way it to remove it and get it carbon vinyl wrapped.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wood is getting outdated on modern sports cars, it was once cool, so I thought it was in 2005 when I ordered mine. It's expensive to get it swapped out, cheapest way it to remove it and get it carbon vinyl wrapped.
Where would I get that?

Probably look tacky though

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
Actually, a good wrap job with 3M DI-NOC does not look all that bad. Let me know if you change your mind and want to swap your wood trim bits for the Aluminum finish ones - I've got a new set stateside. (Three center panels only - the two by the steering wheel and the one over the glovebox. I've probably got the door trim bits as well, just not 100% sure)

EDITED : Center trim bits are for a LHD car, will not fit RHD.

·
Founding Member
4,599 Posts
Where would I get that?

Probably look tacky though
I've seen it and it doesn't look too bad if it's done by a quality shop. You might have to asked around. Tint, clear bra type shops are doing these wraps around here.

·
Registered
186 Posts
tu99a.....

If you get the car, let me know. I actually changed mine to wood (darker than that though) and still have all my silver bits if you are interested.

The change out consisted of:
The bit above the glove box.
The two bits under the instrument cluster behind the wheel.
Both door pulls.
The Ebrake handle.
The shifter (mine is a 6 speed, not sure the auto shifters had this).

I will warn you for whatever reason some woods have the two little oval things in the door in wood, and with some wood's it's just black (see the picture posted above and the link above to see the difference). My wood didn't have the door inserts, so you might have to buy the two little oval things in black, but they aren't stupid expensive.

It's super easy to change the bits, took all of a half hour.

I'm one province over from you.

Cheers!

Dang

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks Dang, I'm gonna wait and see what I think of the wood and I'll keep your offer in mind :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.