Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone, My 99' slk230 just got out of the auto body shop about 2 weeks ago for a small hit in the quarter panel. They replaced my vario pump which had stop working about 6 months ago. Bonus
A few days ago the "check engine light" lit up and showed a PO170 Fuel Trim indication. The car still ran ok, a little sluggish. I have been on the forum looking this up, and first thing this morning the car will barely start and then dies. It won't go anywhere now.
Starter and battery crank the engine over with no problem and it's trying to go but won't stay running for more than a few seconds.
K40 relay has been fixed about a year ago. I'm just trying to figure out where to start looking, fuel filter, mas, crankshaft sensor?? Anybody have a good starting point.
Is it possible that autobody dust got in the mass air flow sensor and affected it? Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Hi Everyone, My 99' slk230 just got out of the auto body shop about 2 weeks ago for a small hit in the quarter panel. They replaced my vario pump which had stop working about 6 months ago. Bonus
A few days ago the "check engine light" lit up and showed a PO170 Fuel Trim indication. The car still ran ok, a little sluggish. I have been on the forum looking this up, and first thing this morning the car will barely start and then dies. It won't go anywhere now.
Starter and battery crank the engine over with no problem and it's trying to go but won't stay running for more than a few seconds.
K40 relay has been fixed about a year ago. I'm just trying to figure out where to start looking, fuel filter, mas, crankshaft sensor?? Anybody have a good starting point.
Is it possible that autobody dust got in the mass air flow sensor and affected it? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Some info I googled:
http://www.obd-codes.com/p0170
Check you MAF sensor. Try cleaning it. (I used electric contact cleaner on mine last time). See if there's any oil present in the pipe where MAF connects.
Here's a possible cause of MAF contamination:
http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/showthread.php?t=34036

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dead SLK

Thanks for response, I did clean the MAF sensor about 3-4 months ago. But since then it was in the auto body shop for 3 weeks. I am going to try re-cleaning it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jason, that's an interesting article on the oil contamination problem with high mileage cars. I've got 100K miles on the car, will try cleaning MAF tonight and see what happens and will also look for oil residue problem. Thanks

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Jason, that's an interesting article on the oil contamination problem with high mileage cars. I've got 100K miles on the car, will try cleaning MAF tonight and see what happens and will also look for oil residue problem. Thanks
I have cleaned this area couple months ago and I still get the oil leaking down this pipe. I'm 100% sure my air flow nozzles are at least 90% blocked due to gunk building up. Already ordered the parts which cost me $50. The biggest cost was the PVC Valve (T-piece) $20. I could have used the old one but I've read that these things get contaminated and it's better to replace them every 50,000 miles or so. Not a big deal =) Will post DIY as soon as I get to this repairs.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fixed!!!

The car would not run, took out the MAF and cleaned it with CRC cleaner. Put it back in 15 minutes later and the car started and runs perfect. I did have a few small spots of oil in the black air tubing. Jason you were exactly right about the blow back of oil with higher mileage cars. I'm going to keep my eye on it and possibly do the procedure to clean everything out once and for all.
Thanks again everyone, this forum rocks!! (I used the other half of the can on an high mileage work van, and it's running considerably better as well)

·
Registered 1999 SLK230
86 Posts
I'm having the same problem with my 99 SLK 230 cel p0170 by using the crc cleaner would get the job done last year, but the MAF is completely dead. So where can I get a new mass air flow sensor for a decent price?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Very good work/information Jason!

Something to look at if I start getting the following: MIL (Malfunction Indicator Lamp) Illumination Start and stall Poor fuel economy Black smoke at tailpipe Hesitation/misfire at idle or under load.

Since I plan to keep my 99 forever and don't experience any of these problems yet (79K miles), is there any preventive maintenance plan to avoid or prolong these issues? Do you think the type of oil (synthetic vs standard) oil would make a difference? One more reason to keep the oil changed and clean!

Jason - again great post!

·
Premium Member 2004 SLK200K
10,754 Posts
I'm having the same problem with my 99 SLK 230 cel p0170 by using the crc cleaner would get the job done last year, but the MAF is completely dead. So where can I get a new mass air flow sensor for a decent price?
Unfortunately the MAF seems to be one of those parts that if you don't go original ( or original make , Bosch etc ) they tend to play up sooner or later !
With the price they have , you might want to try one from a breakers ?

·
Registered 1999 SLK230
86 Posts
You're absolutely right, I read it here somewhere that get the original MAF and save yourself the headache. No sure if the SLK store would have it in stock.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,402 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.