Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At out local track in the stock radial tire class ie no sticky tires - slicks, drag radials, or track tires of any kind. Put the poor Pirelli's out of their misery for good LOL! Ran basically what I did last time out - high 12's at over 110mph traps, so the car is consistent if nothing else! I beat some faster cars in a couple ways - got them off the tree, or else they smoked 'em off the line and I walked on by. Ended up in the finals with a nicely restored Chev Nova with a mild 383 stroker motor (pic below side by side before the final race).

So I came away with a few bucks, some freebies (including dyno time), and a trophy. Oh yea, and a sunburn from the hot weather today *L*.

The SLK55 is a surprising car, I think I'll keep it! R)

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Gene, it's great to spend a day at the track with friends...and then actually win something LOL!

·
Registered
605 Posts
Congratulations! The cars that can reliably run their dial-in usually do really well.

I did the muscle car shootouts for years with the Oldsmobile at Baylands (Fremont Raceway) and Sears Point. I'm looking forward to some SLK55 grudge match runs @ Sears Point next summer once I've got things sorted out with the car and it's good and broken in. I need to find my old white shoe polish to write my dial-in!

-D

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts
Congratulations FishtailnZ!!! :tu: :tu: :tu:

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone, had a blast! A few years back when I owned an LS1 Formula, I competed regularly and rarely missed a track event - it's nice to get back out there again now and then.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
P.S. here's a vid I took while riding along with a friend for a test 'n tune run yesterday...car is a manual Camaro SS with a small cam, long tube header and Borla exhaust...ie it's LOUD! *L* Unfortunately he bobbled 3rd gear on this run. Launch is easy because he too was on regular street tires and competed in the same class I did. His car run's low 13's at 112mph on those radials. Those 6 speeds are a bitch to launch, I know - I used to own one.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Couple more pics from the final race:

Pulling up to the line...

Staging...

Still close past the 1/8 mile...R)

Win light goes on in my lane :flag:

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks as well Gabus! The track we use is not a permanent one either - it's run from a local airstrip every second weekend during the summer. It's popular all the same and draws a lot of people.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just got this one...me racing that same Camaro SS as in the above vid. This was in the second round of the shootout. He redlighted but I still caught and passed him before the end of the 1/4 mile. :smile:

http://media.putfile.com/AMG-vs-CAMARO-SS

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
At out local track in the stock radial tire class ie no sticky tires - slicks, drag radials, or track tires of any kind. Put the poor Pirelli's out of their misery for good LOL! Ran basically what I did last time out - high 12's at over 110mph traps, so the car is consistent if nothing else! I beat some faster cars in a couple ways - got them off the tree, or else they smoked 'em off the line and I walked on by. Ended up in the finals with a nicely restored Chev Nova with a mild 383 stroker motor (pic below side by side before the final race).

So I came away with a few bucks, some freebies (including dyno time), and a trophy. Oh yea, and a sunburn from the hot weather today *L*.

The SLK55 is a surprising car, I think I'll keep it! R)
Congratulations!

It's a good thing the Nova did not have to do anything drastic like stop or turn, or you would have really humiliated him.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Congratulations!

It's a good thing the Nova did not have to do anything drastic like stop or turn, or you would have really humiliated him.
Thanks! Or lucky for me he was having to use regular street radials as well...on a dedicated sticky tire he'd have destroyed me *L*

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Another couple shots from a test 'n tune run against a friends '88 GTA Firebird (383 with nitrous, runs mid 11's...yes he kicked my ass *L*) Fortunately he was running in the sticky tire class for the shootout later in the day.

OK, I'm done now :bannana:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts