Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks

New to the SLK scene with an R170. I was fitting a new stereo at the weekend and having a preliminary look at where to run wires for some footwell lighting strips I have purchased.

Being new to the "luxury" brand of Mercedes, I was impressed by how tidily everything is fitted, however this does seem to mean a lack of obvious gaps to pass wires through compared to previous cars I have owned!

Any pointers on where I should be running wires? The LED strips connect ultimately to the cigarette lighter socket (I plan to do something semi permanent later on but due to lack of regular driveway use my time is limited for each mod). So I'm trying to get a wire out of site from the driver's footwell over to the passenger footwell. I also wanted to run a microphone wire (for BT handsfree) into the passenger footwell and up behind the stereo head unit, but couldn't easily find a route for this. Any pointers/pics welcome. I have searched as best I can to no avail. There was one great thread about fitting footwell lighting but all the pictures were broken for me :(

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I was recently doing a stereo system installation so I had a considerable number of covers off.

First, a very convenient place to pick up power is under the panel at the front of the passengers foot well. Pull the carpeting back, the styrofoam filler off, and you should see 3 plastic nuts that fit a 10mm socket. Remove those nuts and fold the steel panel back into the foot well. Mine had the brain for the auto transmission, the Bose amplifier for the stereo, and a rather elaborate power block terminal.

I had to run wiring for the front speakers and found it convenient to remove the glove box assembly, the center dash console where the radio is mounted, and the end cover of the dash on the other side. I used an old antenna whip, taped the wires to it's end, and used that to push the wiring from the left end of the dash to the center. Then I pulled the wiring to the rear of the center console and back behind the glove box (an easy task with the glove box removed.)

The only thing I am not sure of is the harness arrangement for a European market car. My North American market car has the typical steering wheel on the left. Be careful with the dash plastics. My dash is so brittle that it easily turns to dust when disturbed.

·
Registered
150 Posts
RussT, check out my post to the radio installation. I mounted my microphone at the drivers pillar on the dash and snaked the wire under the molding into the fuse box (in the dash). I then snaked it in the dash under (or is it over) the steering column. it is a straight shot to the center console behind the radio. I used an unused dryer lint bendable brush (as the car doors do not open at 90%). You could probably run a wire for your footwell lights as well. You can most likely tuck your wiring between the plates (molding) where the in-cabin filter is located.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.