Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My stock radio/CD, a Blaupunkt RDM 126 Toronto, is misbehaving (turning on and off at random with the ignition off) and I need to replace it. I have read chopstik1’s excellent thread on aftermarket radio installation, but my wiring is slightly different to his.

The A & B connectors are wired as shown in chopstik1’s thread, e.g. power, etc. to the A connector and front left & right speaker connections to the B connector. However, the C connector in my car only has two wires and these are on pins 8 & 10. I think they are the Left and Right Lineouts, which suggests that there is an amplifier somewhere.

Some posts suggest that there should be rear speakers in the 1998 SLK 230, but I don’t appear to have these in my car and I can’t locate an amplifier either. (I have looked at the Encyclopedia Component Locator).

I would rather not be soldering wires like chopstick1 did. It looks as though Autoleads do a harness for a Vauxhall/Saab that appears to be compatible with the SLK 230 in terms of its pinouts (PC-2-04-4) Autoleads PC2-04-4 Car Audio Harness Adaptor Lead - Saab Vauxhall: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike If anyone has used an adapter harness like this I am all ears. The caveat is that it is advertised with the statement “this is not for amplified versions”.

My questions:
Can I ignore the C connector and simply hook up a replacement radio/cd using the wiring from the A & B connectors, and does anyone know of a commercially available adapter harness like the PC2-04-4?

Should my car have a pair of rear speakers and if so are they sneakily hidden somewhere that is not obvious?

Likewise, should there an amplifier?

Do the two orange wires that go to pins 8 and 10 on the C-Connector relate to lineout left and right and do they go to said amplifier?

Any help gratefully received.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Rear Speaker wiring

I ran new rear speaker wiring to the panel behind the rear seats. I did not locate any rear factory wiring. The new wiring runs down the center console and splits left and right at the rear to 6 1/2" 4 way speakers.

My 1999 SLK200 is a base 5 speed model, no bells and whistles. The door speakers are the stock set up. I believe there was an upgrade for rear subwoofer speaker(s). I had to build up the space behind the panel to house the 6 1/2" speakers. This is to keep the speaker flush with the panel so the speaker grill will mount correctly to the panel. There is room, but be very careful drilling/grinding, the fuel tank is right there! Make sure your fasteners are the correct length.

I don't use an amp. The Sony unit I installed does a sufficient job of powering the original and added rear speakers. Here is the link to that thread http://www.slkworld.com/attachments...4d1437641971-rear-speaker-wiring-img_1530.jpg

Attachments

·
*Premium Member
2002 Blue SLK320 known as 'Silkie"
4,278 Posts
My questions:
Can I ignore the C connector and simply hook up a replacement radio/cd using the wiring from the A & B connectors, and does anyone know of a commercially available adapter harness like the PC2-04-4?

Should my car have a pair of rear speakers and if so are they sneakily hidden somewhere that is not obvious?

Likewise, should there an amplifier?

Do the two orange wires that go to pins 8 and 10 on the C-Connector relate to lineout left and right and do they go to said amplifier?

Any help gratefully received.
Let's start with some tech background. I found this on the net showing the rear sockets on the Blaupunkt:
Text Font

And if you only have two speakers then yes, you just need the A & B connectors on your replacement radio.

If you have rear speakers then you will see them behind the seats on the rear bulkhead, as Jet Wrench has said in his post. If you can't see them then you don't have them.

When you refer to 'Plug C', what does the plug look like? Does it look as if it plugs into the top socket on the three sockets on the picture or does it look like this:
Cable Wire Technology Electrical connector Electronic device

Thanks

·
*Premium member
2001 SLK320
816 Posts
a nice bit of audio Columbo work

we should put our new chum out of his misery. If you have the two orange wires as in Savcom's photo, they will be the relics of the original D2B fibre-optic setup from the Mercedes/Becker Audio 10 unit the car probably left the factory with. These fibre-optic wires will have gone to the 6 cd-changer.:nerd:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The C connector was plugged into the top socket on the back of the radio (It doesn't look like the one in your second photo, it looks like the connector I in your first photo of the radios/pinouts). You did better than me on the internet search, I couldn't find a Blaupunkt pinout that showed connector C.
Many thanks for your help.
I only have front speakers and no CD changer, so it looks as though I can just swap out the radio/CD with a modern unit and just need to use the A & B connectors.

·
*Premium Member
2002 Blue SLK320 known as 'Silkie"
4,278 Posts
That's great. I'll give you one Top Tip: On the new head unit read their instructions regarding the permanent +12V and the switched (Acc) +12V and make sure you get that right. Pioneer, for example, cater for both using the red and yellow wires in their harness and bullet crimps so you can switch then round if necessary.

Good luck! :-D

Reactions: Elmer Fudd
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.