Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't find the answer to this anywhere, hoping someone knows. whenever I turn on the windshield wipers, there is an extremely strong stench that happens. it seems to come right through the vent. like rotten meat in a hot garbage can smell. the wipers move/fluid comes out fine. the pump sounds normal. any ideas? is it possible anitfreeze is being burned/mixed into the lines?

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,336 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
May I suggest that you drain off the "stagnant" water in the fluid reservoir and refil it witha good IPA (Isopropylalcohol) based screen wash. The IPA is a known disinfectant and the smell will not return. IPA is often inpregnated into swabs prior to needle injections.

·
Premium Member 1999 SLK 5.4 M113
1,440 Posts
I've had the same thing happen... not really through the vents, but with the windows down I could smell an odor.

·
Registered
303 Posts
It’s quite common for the additives in screen wash to separate out and form a gel in the reservoir. I don’t know what this is made of but I have seen green algae growing on it.
This can be cleaned out with hot water and your favourite detergent. Add a drop of concentrated floral disinfectant (Zoflora in the UK) and refill with clean water and screen wash.
Alternatively, your MB dealer will clean it up and refill with genuine MB screen wash and genuine MB water!
Neil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered 2009 SLK200
5,068 Posts
It’s quite common for the additives in screen wash to separate out and form a gel in the reservoir. I don’t know what this is made of but I have seen green algae growing on it.
This can be cleaned out with hot water and your favourite detergent. Add a drop of concentrated floral disinfectant (Zoflora in the UK) and refill with clean water and screen wash.
Alternatively, your MB dealer will clean it up and refill with genuine MB screen wash and genuine MB water!
Neil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Or use a quality hose pipe
Quality water
Quality Detergent

And bill yourself a quality Mercedes Bill plus vat ! :grin:

Its so common windscreen washer / water to go off think about it it sits in there for years at times .

Ive had mine sitting in its resevoir bottle for 5 years plus
Yes i dont use it !

·
Registered
228 Posts
I was puzzled by the "washer fluid smell", but if you don't actually USE the washer fluid and never drive the car below freezing, it¨s eminently possible for water to rot and smell lika rotten eggs. I'ts not the water that stinks, , the smell comes from anaerobic bacteria in the water. Most likely, they feed on algae from the tank and lines.

Remedy, use the washer now and then, or keep the tank dry, or use washer fluid additives of the correct kind. Isopropyl alcohol works well in my place (Cold, freezing, have road dirt cleansing properties etc). Chlorinated water (drinking water) also helps in this respect.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.