Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whilst I was cleaning my car at the weekend and noticed that the n/s wiper can be lifted but does mark the edge of the bonnet and the o/s wiper cannot be lifted as it is completely restricted by the bonnet. Never had a car that you couldn't lift the wiper arms before is this normal?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
please ignore previous post as I have now seen other posts in the forum on this issue.
I have started using google to search the site rather than the site search engine as it seems to get better results for me

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,400 Posts
Don't you just have to raise the wipers to the vertical position (like when its wiping) and then turn off the car and then lift the wipers?
Yes. Washing the car, I just lift the wiper arms slightly up and wash beneath the blades.

What does n/s and o/s stand for (curious)?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What does n/s and o/s stand for (curious)?
near side and off side refers to the nearest or furthest side of the vehicle from the kerb, saves the confusion of RHS and LHS being viewed from front or back of car.

·
Premium Member 2017 SLC 300 Founding member #7
2,158 Posts
Hmm... Well, I'm not sure you've saved any confusion. Never heard of that abbreviation on this side of the pond. Have to file that away for future reference.

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,400 Posts
near side and off side refers to the nearest or furthest side of the vehicle from the kerb, saves the confusion of RHS and LHS being viewed from front or back of car.
I think by convention, when a person says it's the right side or left side of the vehicle, it is referenced as when one is seated on the driver's seat. So it won't matter if it's LHD or RHD.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmm... Well, I'm not sure you've saved any confusion. Never heard of that abbreviation on this side of the pond. Have to file that away for future reference.
Sorry it wasn't a very clear explanation but here goes with a second attempt. Near and Far Sides are probably unique to the UK but they relate to the side of the vehicle which is closest to the kerb (roadside).
So Nearside is the side of the vehicle is the side nearest to the kerb and Farside farthest away.
I believe ,but it is purely a guess ,that it was devised to get over any confusion of whether the terms RHS and LHS were from the viewpoint looking at the front of the car or the rear of the car.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think by convention, when a person says it's the right side or left side of the vehicle, it is referenced as when one is seated on the driver's seat. So it won't matter if it's LHD or RHD.
Eddy I would also agree with that but I guess the N/S and F/S was used in an attempt to overcome the need to understand that.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Oh, the confussion. What about which side of the car the steering wheel is on, or what side of the street you are parked. Thanks for the laugh.

D

·
0 Posts
Well thats simple, the steering wheel is on the off side and you park against the curb or away from it.

This comes in handy when your working on car's possibly not so much when your just the end user, the times i have been told X headlamp or X sidelight is out and they base that on what they see when they look at the lamp's from the front, its also real handy for the tires when you add the third initial to the designation.

To your average car owner N/S/R Worn I means nothing but to your tech at least in the UK it means Nearside (Always other side of car to the steering wheel) Rear Worn Inner - The tire needs replacing and the camber could be out.

O/S Headlamp Out - Self explanatory and totally idiot proof once the guy at the service desk determines the correct L/R

And thats the entire point of it, fool proof 2,3 or 4 techs can work on a car and all will know the score.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.