Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got our winter tyres on the Q5 (4x4) ready for winter - they make a huge difference to that car, so it's got me thinking about the 55.

I won't be using the 55 as a daily driver in winter, but I will need to give it regular runs to keep things in full working order, so it would seem to make sense to get winter rubber for this car too.

Staggered rubber to fit the existing wheels is available, but these black finished wheels might not be the most durable coping with the twice yearly tyre-shop changeover.

That has me leaning towards getting another set of wheels for the winter tyres - that way I can change over the wheels myself.

Looking at the manual, it lists:

uniform:
235/40 R 18 95 V XL M+S on 8.0 J x 18 H2 ET 43

or

staggered:
235/40 ZR 18 95 V XL M+S on 8.0 J x 18 H2 ET 43
255/35 ZR 18 94 V XL M+S on 9.0 J x 18 H2 ET 42

has anyone got any experience/thoughts on which is the best way to go?

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just spoke to the dealer, they said the merc recommended wheel/tyre package is £1,800 worth of 17" 10 spoke wheels, shod with 225/45/17 pirelli scottozero or dunlop 3d winter rubber. Which seems at odds with the owners manual.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I'm going to use the standard wheels and drop a width. I did this on the last car (RS 265) and did not regret it at all..... besides I still have 6.5 to 7mm of rubber for the fronts (I have 2 on ebay selling at the moment too - Edit: sold them as I wrote this.)

So, to get the circumference close, (and the price right) I'm going with the following:

Front: 225/40 R18 Nokian WR A3
Rear: 245/40 R18 Nokian WR A3

They are a fantastic tyre, but don't like it above 12 degrees C... which is why I haven't switched just yet on the 55.... and they wear slowly :)

My local tyre shop use nylon rim protectors when working on alloys and my last 2 sets have been black, they never marked them!

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's the section in my manual that I mentioned before - it's page 312:

BA = both axels, FA = front axel, RA = rear axel

as you can see, it's just showing 18s for the 55.

Can you recall where you saw mention of the 17s?

Attachments

·
Registered
147 Posts
I doubt you'll get 17's on the R172 55, they would not clear the brakes at the front, it's darn tight!.

On another highly related note, I have always had a second set of rims for winter but was going to just get my winter tyres put on the stock rims, but have had second thoughts as the stock are so lovely (and expensive!) and I have now some 18" x 8J ET42's on the way to me, will be here on Tuesday and I believe they will fit.

I'll dry run a rim on the front and rear on Tuesday. I'll probably have the tyres blown on and balanced up by the weekend and will swap them over weather permitting if they do fit...

Attachments

·
Registered
579 Posts
Just checked the 2014 dealer ordering guide and the sales catalog...looks like the 17 inch rims are only available for the 250.

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
when I spoke to the dealer, they entered the reg number into some kind of MB online system and that spat out the 17s. Interestingly, when I enter my reg number into various online wheel/tyre tools it comes back that the car has 19s - which it doesn't.

MrPix - looking forward to hearing how it goes with the new wheels.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I'll post some piccies of before and after :) got the rims for a song too, £90 a corner BNIB!

Already had the tyres, so 225/40 R18 on the front and 245/40 R18 on the rears... see how she goes with that.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Well the Alloys arrived yesterday and seem perfect for winter tyres. I tried a bare rim on the front and there is as much clearance as the stock wheel for the massive brakes on the front, so I'll get the tyres put on/balanced up later today and do a swap over as soon as is possible.... not forgetting the pictures.

·
Premium Member
6,796 Posts
By the way, great idea to pick powder coated wheels (have the lips done as well, if not already, "silver" if you like...but have them done) as the salt and grit will pit alloys very quickly.

FWIW, what about Conti DSWs? You lot don't get a huge amount of snow (on average).

·
Banned
992 Posts
I don't know if the calipers are smaller on the early 6-pot / 4pot set-up on the 171/55, but I mounted my winter hoops and boots today - and they fit with what I, at least, find a pleasing snugness. I'd guess there's about 6mm clearance between the calipers and the inner diameter of the 17x8j rims all round. (The handbook recommends 17x7,5 j). I picked-up the 'as new' (unmarked) rims with nearly new front tyres (Avon 225/45) and 1/3 worn rears (Conti C3 245/40). Obviously winter boots would be better on these rims, but these are just too good to throw away, so I'm going to give them a try. They certainly feel more forgiving over ruts, potholes and speed bumps compared to the O/E Turbines with Pirelli PZeros.
I think by saving the Turbines from winters, I can put-off a refurb for a season, maybe two...

Obviously I should have cleaned the rubber - and the car, but I'll hopefully get that done before the MBWorld meet on Saturday. Maybe.

Attachments

·
Banned
992 Posts
deafy, did you tell your insurance company about the changed wheels/tyres?
Not yet. They fall within 'as mentioned in the owner's manual'... I'm not sure it's required to notify summer/winter changes. If you fit a brand of tyres, or brake pads that are not o/e? Tough call.

ETA: If (in the very unlikely event that) I'd fitted 19" 9.5/10j -outside anything mentioned in the OM, then I'd definitely cover my backside.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I don't know if the calipers are smaller on the early 6-pot / 4pot set-up on the 171/55, but I mounted my winter hoops and boots today - and they fit with what I, at least, find a pleasing snugness. I'd guess there's about 6mm clearance between the calipers and the inner diameter of the 17x8j rims all round. (The handbook recommends 17x7,5 j).....
yes, the Calipers are completely different in size and shape. There is about 6mm clearance at the tightest spot on the stock 18" rims, so no chance of fitting 17" rims on a 172/55, not in a million years.

My update.... tyres are on the rims, balanced and had 2 coats of wheel sealant... ready to be swapped over tomorrow, weather permitting.

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I guess this is why there is contradiction with the dealer - the 17s recommendation seems to be spillover from the r171 even though the manual only talks of 18s and you've seen first-hand that 17s don't actually fit!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts