Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered 2012 SLK250 CDI
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am looking to buy a winter set of wheels for my 172 . Can I use another set of tpms on the winter wheels or are they coded to the car ?
Thanks

·
DAS/STAR Premium Member 2005 SLK 55 AMG
4,024 Posts
Morning

Yes - you can ... they may need coding though .... will check and confirm later

·
4,024 Posts
MB ones ...

·
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Strange !! I rang the dealer for prices and after I gave them the reg number they say my car has none listed for it ???? Looking at the stem on the valve they do look like normal valves ?? Confused as I have the tyre pressure loss thing on the display ?
Lol

·
Registered 2014 SLK250
1,000 Posts
The gizmos wot do the telemetry are inside the wheel - long oblong things that the valve screws into. You will know the valve is a TPMS one as it will have a hex nut at the base of the valve. Post a photo of the valve and someone will tell you.

It was my understanding that all 172s had individual TPMS (The Brabus catalogue also thinks this is the case for EU cars). Does your display show the individual pressures of the tyres, or do you have your build code? - look for code 475. Again, if it does, then you have TPMS. Having said that, with some of the comments on the forum about dealers, and trying to order parts from the muppet MB agency in France, I would not be surprised what any dealer said any more!

·
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
According to my data card I have code 477 tyre pressure loss warning .. Don't see a 475 code , I will take some pics after work and double check what actually showed on the display ..

·
4,024 Posts
If you don't get any pressures on the cars display then you'll have the basic rotation based TPMS

No sensors needed in the wheels as it uses the ABS sensors for comparing the wheel speeds (lower pressure = smaller diameter = faster wheel speed)

·
4,024 Posts
Yep - Normal valves .. so it'll be rotational TPMS - no changes needed for different tyres / wheels

·
Registered 2014 SLK250
1,000 Posts
So the real McCoy TPMS is a chargeable extra on the 172 then.
So, what does all the money they charge for an SLK actually go towards…!

·
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
To be honest I am delighted I haven't got the all singing and dancing tpms ? no faffing about with sensors and save a few bob as well ...

·
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Why am I thinking of 19" amg 10 spoke alloys ? Maybe it will be the mild this winter and I won't need winter wheels ?

·
Registered
352 Posts
Our 172 has the build code 475 and individual pressures displayed. I ordered sensors with the winter wheels and tires. I think the sensors were $240 total. I don't think they are an MB part. I got the package from tirerack.com so they were installed, tires mounted and balanced and shipped to my house. When I change wheels, I reset the monitor with steering wheel controls. After a couple of miles the car finds the new sensors and pressures show up. So except for cost, it's no big deal.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.