Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered 2003 SLK320
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, one thing I have learned over the last few weeks is that a previous owner was an idiot! trying to repair the ashtray which wont stay closed and in stripping down the console i find numerous screws missing and broken mount points where it has just been forced in the past :(

with the gear panel removed I decided to investigate why the W/S switch seemed so sloppy... you guessed it! broken as well. the small panel with the switch lifts off and the white plastic is all broken underneath. I cant see how it is doing anything other than maybe confusing the car in it not having the right input :(

does anybody know how this particular bit is supposed to look/function? I am assuming i will need to try to source a new switch and I am hoping its not a whole new control unit needed! :(

·
Registered 2001 SLK320
878 Posts
So, one thing I have learned over the last few weeks is that a previous owner was an idiot! trying to repair the ashtray which wont stay closed and in stripping down the console i find numerous screws missing and broken mount points where it has just been forced in the past :(

with the gear panel removed I decided to investigate why the W/S switch seemed so sloppy... you guessed it! broken as well. the small panel with the switch lifts off and the white plastic is all broken underneath. I cant see how it is doing anything other than maybe confusing the car in it not having the right input :(

does anybody know how this particular bit is supposed to look/function? I am assuming i will need to try to source a new switch and I am hoping its not a whole new control unit needed! :(

Page 144 of my manual has a pic and a description of operation on page 151. It selects which gear the car starts off in and moves the shift points as well. S is defined as standard mode it starts in 1st and shift points are at higher revs. W starts in 2nd gear and shifts come earlier at lower revs. This is better in winter or slippery conditions. There are also 2 reverse gears in the 722.6 so in W the gear is taller so there is less wheel spin on slippery surfaces.

·
Registered 2002 SLK320
1,986 Posts
Hi,

I feel your pain, when I first got my Car and had it apart for the Android Install I found many screws missing and busted clips etc where some inept numpty had been in there previously :frown:

AFAIK W/S Switch is an integral part of the Shifter (certainly is on my V6 Car) .......................

HTH,

Cheers Dave

·
Registered 2003 SLK320
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi,

I feel your pain, when I first got my Car and had it apart for the Android Install I found many screws missing and busted clips etc where some inept numpty had been in there previously :frown:

AFAIK W/S Switch is an integral part of the Shifter (certainly is on my V6 Car) .......................

HTH,

Cheers Dave
the switch just lifted out of mine.... :frown:

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,853 Posts
BAH.. cant add photos yet ...

uploaded to this link: https://photos.app.goo.gl/1wzRTPopHZN82Wic9
you most certainly can upload pics even with 1 post

Want to post a picture? Start a new thread or make a post, click ‘edit’, click on the ‘paper clip’ or ‘advanced’ and/or ‘manage attachments’ then ‘choose file’ then ‘upload’ and ‘submit’! If Iphone pics, you need to rename any additional pics as Iphone names its pics all the same, image.jpg.

are you on a phone?

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,853 Posts

·
Registered 2002 SLK320
1,986 Posts
Hi Dave,

Yeah I seen your pics :surprise:

It's been a while now since I had mine all in bits to wire in the Paddle Shifts, and I'm not gonna start prising my spare apart ;) .......................

But IIRC it looks to me like some darn fool eejit has wrecked that Shifter, I am almost certain that should be solder fixed into the Shifter, it looks to me like a bit is missing with the tags that would have been soldered, (or perhaps plugged into the circuit board) :frown:

I paid about £85 for one off EBay, then I modded that one, and swapped it with the one in my Car so the Paddles just plugged into it :grin:

Hence I now have a spare one.

HTH, Cheers Dave

·
Registered 2003 SLK320
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's kind of what I am fearing... although I cant really see any evidence on the circuit board of where the connectors would plug in...

I found someone breaking an r170 and have messaged him to see if I can try to get a switch off him.

As an aside, I was looking closer at the switch panel and the apparent gap at the bottom, had a little fiddle and it feels like that's actually a recessed button of some sort? Cant find any info about it so perhaps not but it feels spring loaded like a momentary press button... any ideas?

·
Registered 2003 SLK320
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's excellent! Exactly what I needed, thanks. So it looks like all I need to do is replace the switch. And until I get a new one I can use a little electrical tape to make sure the optical sensor is permanently interrupted and therefore stuck in 'S' it even answered what the little button does ... brilliant, thanks

·
Registered 2002 SLK320
1,986 Posts
Hi Dave,

Wow, I'm glad @M4rCu5 found that for you, huge apologies for me leading you up the garden path so to speak :crying:

In my defence I did say it had been a while, and I have had several Shifters apart on other MB's since then.

Looks to be an easy fix then, glad about that :smile:

I'm gonna crawl off now and fit an ABC Suspension Strut to an SL 500 :frown:

Cheers Dave

1 - 13 of 13 Posts