Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate it when that happens. Will be putting my car into winter storage shortly and have a couple of question as I have not done this on my SLK before (bought it during the summer) anyway I read about pumping the tires up etc on the forum, I also read not to disconnect the battery on this car (Why not?) if I'm too use a trickle charger is 1.5 to 2 amps okay? I also tested the antifreeze and it set at -25 F that seems a tad high to me as once in a while it can get down to -35 F, however the car will be inside so not sure if -25 will do but if not must i only use the water treatment supplied by MB?

I was planning on throwing a bed sheet over it as well just to keep any dust off it but I read not to do that but it had know reason why not. Yes or No?

Think that's it I have just changed the oil will fill the tank with fuel and put the stabilizer in with it..

Okay thanks for all input..

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK350
6,796 Posts
I think your amperage will be fine.. most of the decent chargers "float" and will adjust themselves to whatever is needed.

A couple of extra psi will do the job on modern radials Bill.

On the antifreeze... do you mean degrees F or C?? -25F is pretty darn cold. Does it get to -35F over your way...even -35C would seem pretty cold where you are.

·
Registered 2005 SLK350
849 Posts
Disconnecting the battery shuts down too many items: clock, radio settings, Nav etc but especially the automatic window drop as you open the car door so if you need to open or close you might blow the window seals. I just leave mine on a C-Tek float charger and it seems to keep the battery in better shape than disconnecting. I use one C-Tek on a variety of vehicles and just rotate a week at a time. There is a big difference between a trickle charger (that needs to be disconnected when battery is charged) and a float charger that does not. 1.5 amps is OK but if you want performace look at C-Tek. I believe the additional cost has been worth it in prolonged battery life. If the car is stored in a semi-heated garage you are OK/ Does it get to -25 in the garage?

A bed sheet is better than a plasic or poly tarp because it is breathable. Previously I covered vehicles but found some moisture etc and a friend wrecked a restored Triumph MC by covering so I wash, wax and leave it. Any accumulated dust will come off in the spring. I would cover if I was woried about anything falling on the car but mine are in a fairly well closed semiheated garage.

Gordon

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info and yes once in a while it get's down to -25F (-31.7C) in this area. not ofter mind I 'm just trying to cover my ass just on case.

The place I have found as I don't have a garage of my own is just up the road from here. It's a mates place and quite big but not heated mind his son stores his summer car and boat and that seems to work well. Will play it by ear and not cover it for now. Seeing as it will be indoors I thing the -25 F antifreeze should be fine.

Have I forgotten anything?

Bill:rockon::tu:

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One other thing PLEASE explain this to me I have never seen or heard of this before..

especially the automatic window drop as you open the car door so if you need to open or close you might blow the window seals.

This is funny, I thought the buiders of my Jaguar XJR had a sence of humor but this is up their...

Thanks again guys Y)

·
Registered 2005 SLK350
849 Posts
One other thing PLEASE explain this to me I have never seen or heard of this before..

especially the automatic window drop as you open the car door so if you need to open or close you might blow the window seals.

This is funny, I thought the buiders of my Jaguar XJR had a sence of humor but this is up their...

Thanks again guys Y)
May not happen on your year/model but on mine if you open a door the window will drop 1 cm so that when you close there is no pressure in the cabin and then about 1 second after you close the door; the window rises the 1cm. With battery disconnected this does not happen. On the larger models the pressure problem was not there but with a small cabin there was an issue. If you do not have this feature I would close the doors slowly or leave the window down a little.

·
Premium Member
2,117 Posts
we dont know from winter storage down here in the pseudo-desert...year round top-down!! ('cept the 100' summer days-yikes)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.