Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered sold my 2014 SLK250 CDI
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know winter is of in the future but it is coming! Has anyone looked into winter tyres/ wheels. If so what have you seen /found out? I believe for a 17 inch rim the tyre size should be 225/45/17 can anyone confirm this? I use Bridgestone blizzaks on my BMW and as the slk is rear wheel drive to it will be just as hopeless. Any thoughts or knowledge?:smile:

·
Registered
352 Posts
I did this last winter. Here's a thread I started:

http://www.slkworld.com/tires-wheels-brakes-suspension/205657-snow-tires-2015-slk250.html

The problem here is choosing dates to change over. I did it at the beginning of April on a nice 80 degree sunny day, but it's snowed once since then and could again. The dealer offers to store our tires and change them, but even if that is free, I can swap them myself in less time than going down there. I got a storage rack for my garage to keep the second set out of the way.

My wife says that the Miata (with a Torsen limited slip differential) is easier to control than the traction-control system on the Mercedes. I think the Mercedes' extra weight works better in deeper snow. In either car, we can be driving along just fine while other cars are clearly sliding.

Tire makers are starting to do multizone compounds which might be a solution. They are supposed to be better than traditional all-season tires. I wanted to see more user experiences with those.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I don't use winter tires on the SLK, but I do on the C230. We don't get a lot of snow and only occasionally go over the Cascades in winter, but snow tires make a dramatic difference. For the SLK with 17s, use the tire size specified for the front and fit them at all four corners. In snow, the narrower contact patch at the rear is better than a wider one. I did drive the SLK frequently in the winter, as we got a fair number of dry days with cool to around freezing temperatures. I found that the summer tires on the SLK provided much less grip than the winter tires on the C230 with essentially the same wheel/tire combination: front rim sizes are identical, SLK rear rims are an inch wider with 20mm wider tread. The C230 was much more sure-footed, and that was all due to the rubber compound being better suited to cold conditions.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.