Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone offer me any advice on Winter driving as everything I've found on the web says these cars are hopeless. I'm wondering about winter tyres so anyone got an experience on their success. I've had HR rated recommended but don't want to buy if makes little difference.

·
Registered 2008 SLK350
2,241 Posts
I commuted the last 2 winters 200 km every day with my SLK through light and heavy snow including icy roads without any problems. Had winter tyres fitted though, Goodyear Ultragrip and Bridgestone Blizzak. They don't perform miracles ofcourse, you have to drive with much more caution than usual. But as long as you do that you'll be fine.

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG
11,269 Posts
Hi PonyGirl and welcome to the forum from the UK Midlands!

I've been thinking about winter tyres for my SLK too. I've had 4WD on my last couple of cars, but did have some RWD cars before that, and found them to be rubbish in some situations during the UK winters. As I'm sure you've already realised, it's a significant expense for just those occasional situations where they'd be useful.

I'm going to watch this thread with interest and see what responses and advice you get from other members... :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
As will I, I am wondering if it will be easier to look for a set of cheap rims that a cheaper tyre will fit on. Alternatively I can use the wives 4x4 if it does get bad so I am in two minds as to wether it's worth if for whatever snow we are going to get. I had a 5 series a couple of winters ago when it was really bad and managed fine on the standard tyres.

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK 280-sold
3,552 Posts
I can't help you, as I don't really have winter weather here in Tennessee . I can say that I have been driving on I-55 into Chicago at rush hour in a snowstorm and have been passed by an SLK.

Best Wishes,

·
Registered
87 Posts
Depends where you live. In London I don't think it's worth it. My Z4 had a lot of torque but the rears never spun, in the 350 they spin at the slightest push with my right foot.

So winters in London, not worth it, anywhere else, maybe....

·
DAS/STAR Registered Owner
4,018 Posts
No probs in the winter for me ...

I left the Conti's on all year round (Supersport 3's and 5's).

A few interesting 'moments' but that was more than likely down to me...!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts