Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am leaning towards a SLK as my sole, daily driving car. I live in Chicago. We get a fair amount of snow, but our streets get plowed fairly quickly. I realize it is not an ideal winter car and I would need to get snow tires. My concern is my parking structure. I have to drive up a fairly steep and curved incline. Its at least 30 degree vertical slope and turns 90 degrees. We have a maintenance crew that does a fairly good job of keeping it clear and salted. Do you guys think I could make it up the ramp when its snowing?

·
Premium Member 2017 SLC 300 Founding member #7
2,158 Posts
Welcome to the forum!!!

Interesting question. I have driven the SLK 320 and the SLK 350 for the last 6 years through winters. I never had any particular problem with it. However, I've never tried 30 deg slope and a 90 degree turn. Sounds like an invitation to disaster no matter what car you have...

·
Registered
676 Posts
haven't had any snow/ice experience with the slk so far, but the angles you describe do not sound very nice for any rear wheel drive with a sporting soul. not only up but also driving down this curve might become fairly dangerous...

gd luck with yr choice...

brgds
ir-ops

·
Registered
323 Posts
I am about to drive my slk230 through this winter for the first time...so I am not sure how it will so.

I used to have a 2003 mustang v6, I got stuck with it few times during snowy times.
Especially on the hill...I literally had to stop and could not move forwards...cars behind me stopped and they pushed me until i got off the hill,which was not even a hill...thanks to them I made it,it was a shame though. I hated it...

But I have to mention I did not have any snow tires on,but had some sand bags...

I also did slide from one road to the next even though I was doing 10mph...

I am sure Mustangs are worst than a SLK on winter.

I am still researching what winter tires are the best for the slk...

do you guys put heavy sand bags in your trunk on your slk when u drive it during snow times?

·
2,158 Posts
I suspect you are right that the Mustang is worse. Haven't had any trouble sliding, but I have the snow tires. No extra weight in the trunk.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Have been driving SLK for the past 3 winters (SLK350 for 2.5 winters and SLK55 for the past winter). Both had snow tires and has been fine. I also switch to the C mode during winter time, so it starts at the second gear and feels a bit easier to get the traction at the traffic light. That said, Toronto is pretty flat for the most part and never had experience with the 30 degree slope with 90 degree turn...

You will for sure need a set of very good snow tires, not necessary with high speed rating, but good on traction.

·
Registered 2005 SLK350
547 Posts
I use to live in the Chicago suburbs (park ridge), currently live in NJ, but for the last 4 years work in Cleveland OH. I would say Cleveland has by far the worse winters. It snows nearly every day.

·
Registered
323 Posts
what snow tires would you reccomend?

I am in Ohio we usually have also heavy snow..and snow removal here is bad here...

·
2,158 Posts
I had some Blizzak's and now have Dunlop M3s (I think without looking). The M3s are getting an odd wear pattern whose noise is irritating me. I think the noise may be because the wheels are out of round. Oh boy, more problems to look into...

Both tires seemed to do fine in the winter. Check out Tirerack.com for information and comparisons.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I'm also in Chicago and, without snow tires, have found my SLK to be
very intolerant of anything beyond mild snow. Will be interested in your
snow tire experience. . .

·
2,158 Posts
The manual says not to run the tires that come with the car below 45 deg F.

·
2,158 Posts
I don't think so. I think the compound of those tires are made to be soft and grippy in summer and they change when they harden up with low temperatures. Could be slipping and sliding when you don't want to.

·
Premium Member 2000 SLK230
2,624 Posts
I run Hankook Icebear W300s. I've been very happy with them for the last 2 winters, they're very durable and V-rated for those non-snow/ice days...he, he, he.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just had Dunlop Winter Sport 3Ds put on my 2009 SLK350, and so far, so good. They seem better than my previous Blizzak LM-22's (on CLK500), but it's hard to be certain.

Chris

·
Registered
66 Posts
I just put snow tires on my car and it's like night and day. But don't believe people when they exaggerate about how bad rear wheel sports cars are in the winter (at least, the slk). I mean yes, without winter tires you are sliding around and it's very difficult, but with them it's pretty easy.

On a completely different note, are you renting in chicago or do you have a condo or a house, because I'd recommend you buy a house or a condo before you waste money on a nice car. :p

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.