Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered 2010 SLK200
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of taking my SLK off the road for several months because as it is RWD it won't behave in the ice and snow. However, some I am sure will advocate winter tyres. Any views and/or recommendations? On rear wheels only or all four?

Thanks.

Richard

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,853 Posts

·
94,853 Posts

·
94,853 Posts

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
26,044 Posts
Hmm...Sheffield.

Do you get consecutive days of -7? I know you get serious snow at times.
Above that winter tyres aren't recommended.

I've driven my 55 several times in snow with PS4s.
You might be better storing snow socks/chains in the boot.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have driven mine on icy roads a couple of times with just all-seasons. I don't think I was doing any worse than any other vehicle on the roads those times. The main problem is going to be the clearance or lack thereof. I usually try and avoid driving when there is snow on the roads to avoid damaging bumpers and such like...

·
Registered 2017 SL400
1,153 Posts
I was thinking of taking my SLK off the road for several months because as it is RWD it won't behave in the ice and snow. However, some I am sure will advocate winter tyres. Any views and/or recommendations? On rear wheels only or all four?

Thanks.

Richard
Nothing like a top down drive on those crisp, sunny winter days!

I don't take it out in bad weather and have summer tires - but as soon as it is a nice day.....just look out for those patches of road that are in shadow all day.....

·
Registered 2010 SLK200
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yes I did! The first window that popped-up when starting new thread asked if I wanted to search the site for the same question. Nothing -was the answer.
Thanks,
Richard

·
Premium Member 2018 SLC43
2,455 Posts
My vote is to try not to use Your SLK in snow & ice, but not everyone has access to a 2nd car:

I did drive My SLK in bad snow once, when We got caught out on a mountain pass in Scotland & wasn't fun.
>> SLK Snow Pictures: https://www.slkworld.com/3576057-post10.html

SLK Top Tip is to switch the ESP off, which allows the back wheels to keeps spinning, when almost stuck..

...anyway, if Your fitting Winter Tyres, You are meant to fit them to all four wheels... (££-££)

The other alternative is to fit Cross Climate Tyres which come well rated, but do You really want them on in the summer:
>> AutoExpress Cross Climate Tyres Review: https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/92863/all-season-tyre-test-20182019-top-all-weather-tyres-tested

·
94,853 Posts
yes I did! The first window that popped-up when starting new thread asked if I wanted to search the site for the same question. Nothing -was the answer.
Thanks,
Richard
Here is the best way to search our site

go to google box or google

type

site:slkworld.com r170 winter tires tyres

or different key words

then you will have all the search results on our forum

·
Registered
144 Posts
FWIW, I search and 1/2 the time you get 10 year old responses. Google search isn't sorting results by date for me. While those can be handy at times, I usually want current information with current technology.
My SLK is a daily driver/commute vehicle. I drive it 135 miles, one way, twice a week. Three days are city driving. This will be my first winter driving it in the Washington D.C. area and today it's snowing. I grew up in New England, so snow is nothing new to me. What's new are the absolute moron drivers that I have to deal with in this area. They have no clue how to drive.
I suspect the times I have to deal with snow will be minimal so we'll see if I need winter tires also. Good luck with your search.

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
26,044 Posts
@HawkX66 it is a failing that VS doesn't provide an advanced search to include most recent postings.
Things like tyres change model with time.
Sadly, adding a year to the search doesn't make it much better.

But for things like repairs, it is still a good tool.
For things like tyres, it's just a starting point.

A web search does include date though.
Make the search, then select date.

Just start the search 'SLKWorld.com' to get forum related answers.

And remember, worldwide site. So for tyres also try tires.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts