Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Figured I'd fill up the windshield washer container this morning. So I poured about three quarts of fluid in and hear the unwelcome sound of fluid dripping. Looked under the car and I see maybe a cup or two of the fluid had run out onto the garage floor. The good news is that I now have a three foot round clean spot on my garage floor. My question then is this. Is there an overflow on the container itself or is the only opening under the hood where it gets filled? If as I believe that there is only the one opening, then I've got an issue. At least it appears to be up high in the system, since it held so much of the new fluid.

The car has never been out in the freezing weather that I can recall and even if it had been, it always had freeze protected fluid in it. The only other thing I can think of is that a year and a half ago one of my family members misjudged the length of the front end and hit the garage door frame at the right front corner of the car. Damage wasn't terrible and it was more of a scrape than a dent, but I did take it to a body shop for repair. The hit had been hard enough to have damaged a couple of the plastic tabs that hold the grill on, so that had to be replaced. That was the only part that needed replacing. Wonder if that "bump" could have jarred the windshield washer container enough to either crack it or knock a tube off.

I assume the container is in the fender well behind the splash guard. If someone has a link to accessing and repairing/replacing that container, please share it. I'll do a search later to try to find something.

·
Super Moderator 2006 SLK 280
11,308 Posts
Figured I'd fill up the windshield washer container this morning. So I poured about three quarts of fluid in and hear the unwelcome sound of fluid dripping. Looked under the car and I see maybe a cup or two of the fluid had run out onto the garage floor. The good news is that I now have a three foot round clean spot on my garage floor. My question then is this. Is there an overflow on the container itself or is the only opening under the hood where it gets filled? If as I believe that there is only the one opening, then I've got an issue. At least it appears to be up high in the system, since it held so much of the new fluid.

The car has never been out in the freezing weather that I can recall and even if it had been, it always had freeze protected fluid in it. The only other thing I can think of is that a year and a half ago one of my family members misjudged the length of the front end and hit the garage door frame at the right front corner of the car. Damage wasn't terrible and it was more of a scrape than a dent, but I did take it to a body shop for repair. The hit had been hard enough to have damaged a couple of the plastic tabs that hold the grill on, so that had to be replaced. That was the only part that needed replacing. Wonder if that "bump" could have jarred the windshield washer container enough to either crack it or knock a tube off.

I assume the container is in the fender well behind the splash guard. If someone has a link to accessing and repairing/replacing that container, please share it. I'll do a search later to try to find something.
Mercedes-Benz SLK 230 Windshield Reservoid Replacement | 1998-2004 | Pelican Parts DIY Maintenance Article

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you - looks like I've got an unexpected job to do. Yes, I do have access to the EPC. As an FYI, reservoir is part #170 869 03 20 with an MSRP of $45 and a wholesale price of $33.75. Certainly not a deal breaker, especially when there is no labor charge. :)

Guess I ought to take it apart to see what's going on before I order parts I don't need.

Reactions: jbanks15

·
Registered 2002 SLK32 AMG
233 Posts
I'd personally check the washer pump line at the pump, there's a little plastic nipple on the end of the hose that just snaps onto the washer pump and has likely just come off. It happened on mine as well, there's not a lot keeping it on there.

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd personally check the washer pump line at the pump, there's a little plastic nipple on the end of the hose that just snaps onto the washer pump and has likely just come off. It happened on mine as well, there's not a lot keeping it on there.
Thanks S/R, but I still need to get the fender liner off to see that correct? Seems to me with as much fluid as it took before it began to leak that my issue may be higher than the pump? Time will tell I suppose. If the hose to either the headlight washer or the windshield washer has come off, then one of those washer systems would not be working correct? That should narrow it down.

·
Registered 2002 SLK32 AMG
233 Posts
Thanks S/R, but I still need to get the fender liner off to see that correct? Seems to me with as much fluid as it took before it began to leak that my issue may be higher than the pump? Time will tell I suppose. If the hose to either the headlight washer or the windshield washer has come off, then one of those washer systems would not be working correct? That should narrow it down.
Most likely the offending system would not be working correctly. When mine leaked out, I hadn't bothered to check to be honest :grin:
You would still need to pull out the reservoir to check, which isn't a bad job at all. Another possibility is that one of the grommets holding in the pumps has sprung a leak, in that case I could see possibility of the system working properly in spite of that.

·
Premium Member 2001 SLK32 AMG
622 Posts
Re-filled mine today (not all the way but put in approximately 2.5litres) and no leakage..

would say you need some kind of repair.

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tested both the windshield washer system and the headlight washer system and they both are working just fine. So that seems to be pointing me to either the reservoir itself or its associated grommets.

Reactions: Avel Du

·
Premium Member 2004 SLK200K
10,761 Posts
You'll need to take your wheel and liner off to check, but it's a fairly common problem, usually due to the seal on the filler pipe...

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Jeff - think we/you should put up the entire service bulletin about the washer fluid container as a sticky for when this issue arises in the future?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.