Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2001 SLK230 washers stopped spraying last week. I checked the fuse and decided the pump had probably busted. There was no noise from it. This happened previously two years ago when I test drove it and the dealer said they had to replace it. I'm surprised they fail so easily.

The good news is that the pump is quite cheap (about £6 on eBay) and it isn't too difficult to replace. The washer tank is on the leftside of the car looking from the front.

Sorry no photos but here's how you do it:
You need to remove the wheel and undo five 13mm nuts/bolts to drop the wheel arch trim down to get to the tank. There are another couple of nuts holding the trim underneath the car but the trim will pull down far enough.

The white tank is held with a single 13mm bolt to the bodywork. The bottom on the tank has a rubber grommet that sort of slots into a metal retainer. You need to detach the black filler pipe from the top first. I undid the nut holding it in the engine compartment and then spent 20mins trying to prise it from the black concertina pipe that goes into the tank. I suggest you pull the black concertina pipe out of the tank. It is just a push fit but may require a good pull.

The tank will be heavy if full of water. Firmly wiggle and pull it forwards. There are pipes attached. You do not need to completely remove the tank from the car. Drain the tank either by tipping forward into a jug or there is a rubber plug that may also do the same thing near the bottom.

The pump motor will be on the side of the tank facing you. There is a pipe connected to it that is pressed into a recess on the side of the tank. You can undo the screw clip and pull the pipe off the pump. Pull the pump motor up and out of the rubber seal in the tank. Detach the electrical plug.

Just replace the pump and refit the pipe and tank. Make sure it works. There is a couple of pipes going through a cap in the top of the tank. I think these are carrying hot water or air from the engine to heat the tank in winter. Make sure this cap is clicked onto the top of the tank. Mine was loose and I think it was this causing it to leak when filled - not the just gap between the filler pipe and concertina pipe like many people think.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
8 Posts
"Detach the electrical plug."

Hello Folks, this is just what I need, but how do you detach the electrical plug. Mine won't budge. Is there the usual secret MB locking mechanism that I have not sussed out, or do I just need to pull harder? Thanks, psyber:confused:

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,382 Posts
psyber,

Welcome to SLKWorld.com: The #1 Mercedes-Benz SLK Forum from Valrico, Florida!

Then don’t be shy, we don’t bite. We want to welcome you properly so post an introduction in the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section, if you haven’t already. http://www.slkworld.com/new-members-introduce-yourself-here/

Some tips to make your visit here more enjoyable:
If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
If you wish to become PM (Private Message) capable, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM.
Want to post a picture? Start a new thread or make a post, click ‘edit’, click on the ‘paper clip’ or ‘advanced’ and/or ‘manage attachments’ then ‘choose file’ then ‘upload’ and ‘submit’! If Iphone pics, you need to rename any additional pics as Iphone names its pics all the same, image.jpg.
Want to ‘like’ or thank’ someone’s comments? Use the ‘like’ button to the right or the ‘Thanks’ button, bottom right of any post you like. This saves you having to comment.
New members should be aware that the 'New Posts' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last. Remember to click 'mark forums read' under ‘quick links’ when you leave.
Post your vin in the Vehicle Datacard Request section to get a datacard (options on your car) free.
Also vote or enter our Ride of the Month competition: http://www.slkworld.com/rotm-submissions-voting/

Thank you
Jeff
Moderator/Founding Member/Ride of the Month Coordinator

·
Registered
14 Posts
My SLK R170 isn't spraying fluid also.
Have to check what's wrong with it later this week. Does anyone have a link where I can buy a cheap pump as mentioned in the first post from ebay?
Thanks for the help already.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Pump

Hello Ridsel, the pump is not expensive from Merc themselves, even compared with Amazon/ebay. It's just a bit of a chore to replace the unit. Did mine, no probs.

·
Minion
5,602 Posts
Just a note for everyone that has the front light washer system-if you plan on replacing your headlights DO NOT waste the money to get the pump fixed.

*guess what I did? yep that's right. I wasted $ to get a new pump put in and less than 6 months later I changed the headlights to spyders.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks to Simon, his review was great.
The steel pipes through the top are full of coolant, the flow is used to warm the fluid. So dont do it just after a long run, they are warm!!

There is a collar that links the neck to the flexible pipe, this needs to be slid downward (twisting helped) and the neck comes out easily.

I couldnt get a pump locally so I pulled the top off, the motor pulls out. I gave it a good soaking in wd40 freed the shaft, ran it off a battery until it ran smoothly again and reassembled. It was very messy and rusty but cleaned the worst off, put some grease in the base before putting together. I assume water enters it slowly while in use.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Thx for this DIY. Replaced the pump....still didn't fix the low flow on the drivers side. I just replaced BOTH spray nozzles 6 months ago so something has happened to the drivers side one or something got into it. I tried blowing compressed air through it...made it better but it is still higher resistance. Did fix the T-connector minor leaks tho'...so there's that! ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for that link to Pelican. That really helped me as I thought I purchased the wrong pump. I was looking at the headlight washer pump and didn't know I needed to remove the reservoir.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Done and done...almost

Thanks to advice on this thread, I have finally replaced the windshield washer pump. The passenger side sprays fine, but the driver side barely dribbles out.:surprise: I took a small pin and poked in the nozzles, but there must be some other obstruction. Any advice is welcome. Thanks.

·
Registered 2006 SLK280
17 Posts
Good afternoon from the East Coast. OK my washer pump is not working. It doesn’t even make a sound. I ordered an inexpensive replacement, I have removed the wheel and the inside fender liner enough to get to the washer pump. There is a black strap of plastic that retains the pump against the washer reservoir. I can’t see how it is removed I need some advice about that so I don’t break something. It is also a mystery how to disconnect the cable since I can’t get my head in there far enough to see the release latch On the connector. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Reactions: jbanks15

·
97,382 Posts
Good afternoon from the East Coast. OK my washer pump is not working. It doesn’t even make a sound. I ordered an inexpensive replacement, I have removed the wheel and the inside fender liner enough to get to the washer pump. There is a black strap of plastic that retains the pump against the washer reservoir. I can’t see how it is removed I need some advice about that so I don’t break something. It is also a mystery how to disconnect the cable since I can’t get my head in there far enough to see the release latch On the connector. Thanks in advance for your assistance.
this thread is like 4 years old

always better John to start a new thread

shall we move it for you?:D

·
Registered 2006 SLK280
17 Posts
Oh sorry about the thread age. I thought keeping relevant info in the same thread would be the way to go. Please move it if that’s how things are done here. I will remember next time.
But before you move it, let me add that while I was waiting for a response I was not idle... I drained the reservoir and then I figured out I could wiggle the old pump out of its position from behind the retaining strap. It came out easy and unlocking the secret of the electric connection lock was a lot easier with the pump removed. Popped the new pump in place and tested and all is well with the world once again. I hope my adventure helps someone else out in the future. Thanks! -John

Reactions: jbanks15

·
97,382 Posts
Oh sorry about the thread age. I thought keeping relevant info in the same thread would be the way to go. Please move it if that’s how things are done here. I will remember next time.
But before you move it, let me add that while I was waiting for a response I was not idle... I drained the reservoir and then I figured out I could wiggle the old pump out of its position from behind the retaining strap. It came out easy and unlocking the secret of the electric connection lock was a lot easier with the pump removed. Popped the new pump in place and tested and all is well with the world once again. I hope my adventure helps someone else out in the future. Thanks! -John
John,
the thread age is important to note as members might have never returned if you would ask a question of any post in the thread

Glad you got it sorted

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.