Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. Its November, its gone frosty & damp and I've got a misted winscreen (drivers side only) that refuses to demist.
Has anyone got any ideas please?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Hi DaveP,

It doesn't get too cold out here, but I use Autoglym Glass and the occasional fog I do get clears pretty quickly. You might also consider RainX Anti-Fog. What do you use now to clean the insides of your windows?

·
Premium Member 2017 SLC300 Founding member #7
2,173 Posts
The other thing to look out for is that you don't have a water leak that is causing more moisture. Check floor boards and the like. Check that the quarter window is properly aligned with the main window.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Under the hood over the tranny is a rubber tube. This tube drains away water that collects when you run your air conditioner.. If the drain is plugged water will show up on your window.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi tommy04,
Thanks for your reply. I must admit I was thinking of something more involved like there was a demister hose that had become disconnected.
I'll tackle the problem your way first, and try with some rainex.
Best regards
Dave

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Chris
I had a car this happened on once - a Porsche 924S, the scuttle tray used to block up with leaves and when turning my demister fan on, I was blowing water vapour onto my windscreen!
I must check this as soon as I get chance during daylight hours.
Thanks again
Dave

·
Registered
214 Posts
Hi tommy04,
Thanks for your reply. I must admit I was thinking of something more involved like there was a demister hose that had become disconnected.
I'll tackle the problem your way first, and try with some rainex.
Best regards
Dave

lol, simple, that's me! Have you put your hand up there to see if air is pumping out of the vents? Could rule out the demister hose theory...and at first glance, I thought demister was a random German word :biglaugh:

Good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Davep,

You could have a leak, check gap on the roof. It should be 7 to 9 mm wide.

Another guess would be pollen filter. I had many cars with windscreen misting issues, that are easily solved after pollen filter is replaced.

All the best,
Cvele

·
Registered
29 Posts
I thought Wind screen was that screen you put on the back on the Roll Bars.
but after reading all the post I realise you are referring to the Windshield.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just fixed the same problem on our 01 SLK. It was clogged vents and drains round the air intakes at the bottom of the windscreen. I blew all those out with compressed air, blew out a load of crud from under the battery tray and changed the cabin filter. The misting went away immediately.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the useful reply Mike.
I'll be having a good look at those points you mentioned as soon as the ice and snow has cleared. We don't enjoy driving the slk on the icy roads at the moment, as the steering wheel seems to have a mind of its own!
Have not had much experience with rear wheeldrive cars (especially an automatic which wants to creep all the time against the brakes - scary ).
Take extra care.
Dave

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.