Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys ,
Got a bit of a problem with my SLK R171 , 2005 , 350 .
When I try to demist the windscreen by turning up the blower speed air only comes out of the passenger side vent at the base of the screen , the drivers side remains fogged up .
I have tried the search function but to no avail , I even wondered if it could be the filter or a blocked pipe or a stuck flap , not sure where to start .
Anyone else had a similar problem ?
Thank you .

Mike .

·
Founding Member 2006
108,939 Posts
do you have automatic climate control or manual?
are all the vents open?

·
Founding Member 2006
108,939 Posts

·
*Premium Member
2004 SLK200K
10,777 Posts
It could be a stuck flap/motor on that side, perhaps Seanhump might have a better idea from his investigations on the climatronic retrofit !

As Jeff asked, do you have the manual or digital climate controls ?

You may have to get it hooked up to a Star/DAS diagnostic machine to see if it throws any light on the subject....

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys , it's the manual type .
Yes all vents open , all blow very well , even tried the recirculating button on and off a couple of times , no change .
It does seem like a stuck flap somewhere ???

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG /2005 SLK350
6,187 Posts
I don't think there are separate controls for the flaps left and right, the only left vs right control is the temperature which is accomplished by the duo valve. Maybe something is blocking the vent, or the flap has somehow come apart?

I don't think the duo valve could prevent de-misting.

I've never seen one of these airboxes disassembled.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I've done this on a C class and its an all day dashboard out job. But that was a different car so its possible you can get to the stepper motor more easily on the SLK.

as mentioned before ^ I think there is only one stepper for the windscreen.

Does the car make any clicking or tapping noises when yo turn on the key to pos 2 (but don't start it)? This is usually a sign of a slipping motor/connector/gear on one of the steppers.

Here are a few pictures of an rhd SLK heater box so you can see what you're up against.

fortunately parts are cheap - Mercedes SLK-Class R171 Heater Stepper Motor 2038201642 A2038201642 | eBay

Attachments

·
* Founding Member #2
2008 SLK55 AMG
19,485 Posts
Is there a photo tutorial on how to disassemble the dash and reach to these components? I presume there is a WIS document for this.
Perhaps I have to browse the service CD more often (not enough time).

·
Registered
72 Posts
I didn't read your initial post properly, if only one side is staying closed it almost certainly isn't the stepper motor (as one motor turns both sides). The drivers side must be spinning on the rod that runs between both vents. (red arrows in pics) if this is the case, I think the only thing you can do is replace the while heater box :(

you might be able to poke something like a wire coat hanger down the windscreen vent and push the flap open. If it works you'd permanently have the vent open, but thats much better than having it closed.

The w203 c-class had tons of these problems, but I've never head of it on the SLK.

Attachments

·
Founding Member 2006
108,939 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.