Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
MOD MAN
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Some have asked for this...
Although its a very simple circuit, did it on my mine for several months now, with zero problems, it will take some time. Can be done by you, or get some good installer to do it..
It will require tapping the brake and running lights wires, using the same method as rear cam, posted here(look for post number 8) http://www.slkworld.com/general-modifications-r172/73770-rear-camera-info.html (In my case 2012 r172)the brake light wire is black(supplies 12vdc when brake is applied) and the running lights wire is green(supplies 12vdc when lights are on)..Please use a volt meter to verify the right voltages in your car case. Adding fuses is always a good idea, the led on the windrestrictor draws very small amount of current, so a 1/2 A fast blow fuse would be good(depends on relay used ). With this setup, there will be no error codes, or problems and completely reversible with no trace left behind.
On my windrestrictor(red), when the lights are on, the windrestrictor is on, intensity is controlled by the dimmer, I have it at a level that matches my ambient red interior lights and it can be turned off. When braking, the full power is on....
The relay (DPDT) COST ABOUT $9.00, I also bought a small plastic box, and put the relay in it, the dimmer and relay box, are tucked in the lower pocket behind the driver seat.. My home made diagram looks scary, but its not that complicated, so if you need help or have a queation, feel free to ask:)

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
Thank you so much for your prompt reply. Where would I be able to buy the relay? Would places like Radio Shack(The Source in Canada) carry it? If so, do I just ask for a DPDT 12VDC relay?

·
MOD MAN
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks..Yes, RadioShack or any electronic store will carry it. Got mine from radioshack($9.00).. Just ask for DPDT 12vdc relay. RadioShack also sells small black plastic boxes made for electronic projects, so one slightly bigger than the relay, would be good..It might also be a good idea while having access to the back of the brake lights, to tap the reverse light wire(purple) for future mods, like rear cam:)

Attachments

·
MOD MAN
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, but you will have a hard time soldering the wires to it, so bigger is better:)tu:) and allows plugging wires to it, providing you make plugs instead of soldering wires. Here is mine behind driver seat.. Keep in mind, in that pocket there are many other modules, including dimmer, rear cam controller, and front sensors controller...

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yes, but you will have a hard time soldering the wires to it, so bigger is better, and allows plugging wires to it, providing you make plugs instead of soldering wires.

Thanks for your advice. The Source does not seem to carry other ones than this. :confused: . I would search further.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hi Mr Mod Man,

I have sent you a PM concerning the optional wiring for the Windrestrictor. I'm not sure if you have received it. As I have mentioned in the PM, I'm running into two issues,
1. The LED flickers when the Windrestrictor lights up(engine is on idle). Adjusting the brightness does not reduce the flickering.
2. Every time when the brake is applied, the relay produces a clicking sound once. Is this normal?

Please advise. Thank you.

·
Administrator - Founding Member since 2006
93,668 Posts
Modman has not been on since: Last Activity: 05-25-2014
you might want to pm windrestrictor, our sponsor, the maker.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts