Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
*Registered
2003 SLK230
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that late fall is here I'm occasionally having window fogging issues. I know that normally this is a leaky heater core issue but two things lead me to suspect something else. I'm not low on coolant and I don't get that anti-freeze smell when it happens. I haven't started poking around yet but I'm wondering if it's possilbe that water is getting into the heater box somehow.

Any similar experiences or outright guesses are welcome. Thanks in advance.

·
Founding Member 2006
108,846 Posts

·
Registered 2000 SLK320
348 Posts
Hi , as the weather cools down warm moist air in the cab (exhaled air) condenses on the cool glass there are two ways of elimating this condensation.
The first was used before the common use of AC and was basically warm air blown up onto the inside of the windscreen this heats up the glass and prevents the moist air from condensing.
The second is to use AC which blows warm dry air into the cab which replaces the warm moist air thus clearing the windows and preventing further condensation.
The rest button when pressed recurculates the air in the cab and when used in conjunction with AC clears the condensation very quickly.
If however the rest function is activated and the AC is not used the windows will fog up due to the warm moist air as in the first instance however as the air is being recuirculated the moisture content will continue to rise and the windows will stay fogged up even with blower directed at the windscreen.
Hope that has explained how the windows mist up.
Regards Stuart.

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG /2005 SLK350
6,164 Posts
Rain can enter the blower box if the seal at the bottom of the windshield is compromised, or is the seal under the cowl gives way. The latter is pretty flimsy.

·
*Registered
2003 SLK230
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to all. Jeff, sorry about being lazy. I did look through the searches and learned a few things. I wasn't aware what the rest function was. Being from Minnesota, I'm pretty familiar with condensation issues and how to clear them. This is a different situation and I suspect water is getting into the blower. I'll check the seals and clear out the drain tubes and see if that helps. I checked the passenger mats and they are dry. FYI cockneyrick, in this country, the passenger sits where God intended, on the right side (unless you're nimble and extremely lucky).

Cheers.

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG /2005 SLK350
6,164 Posts
You guys crack me up. Just feeling the carpet is not a good test since the carpet sites a good 3" from the floorboard. A better test is to peel the carpet back in the passenger footwell, remove the Styrofoam, and stick your finger as far down there as you can.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.