Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have a 1999 230 and I need to adjust both the driver's and passenger windows because they are closing on the weather stripping. The driver's window, however, will also not go down when the door is closed even with the roof retracted. It tries to start then stops after maybe a 1/4". The window operates fine with the door open. I was wondering if this problem might get solved when I adjust the window for the closing problem or if I need to look for a separate cause of tis issue.

thank you.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,056 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
As far as I was aware, the windows don't drop slightly on this model year. I have the same model (UK supplied) and they don't. I experienced a similar issue and it was the angle bracket attached to the bottom of the window that had fallen off, a common issue on this model. See photos which I obtained online for one recommended repair which I actually used to good effect. Hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG; 2005 SLK350
5,126 Posts
I don't think the R170 (at least the pre-FL) has the "drop the windows slightly when opening or closing the door" feature.

So what you're saying is that if you're sitting in the car with the door closed, the window doesn't operate correctly, but if you open the door it does? If that's correct, is it driver side only, or both sides?

You seem to suspect misalignment of the glass is the culprit - I've never heard of misalignment so bad as to restrict the motor and mechanism. The windows (at least pre-FL) are notorious for losing their stops, which are glued to the bottom of the glass. They usually fall into the interior of the door when they let go. If your window isn't lining up with the seals when the roof is deployed that is the usual reason.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,056 Posts
Let us know for sure and we will add -Resolved- to thread title

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG; 2005 SLK350
5,126 Posts
And how did you reattach the stop? I've had less than stellar results there.

·
Registered
40 Posts
When I glued mine, it fell off again quite soon after. I used the screw & nut fix as shown in the photos I previously posted and have not had a problem since. For some reason, the bracket that attaches to the outside of the glass remains attached to the glass and once the holes in the brackets are elongated so they line-up with each other, the small screw and nut keep them both in place. I did also use a glue pad on the inside bracket, and a touch of glue on the screw thread to stop it working loose.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I used a 2 part epoxy called plastic welder. It claims to adhere to metal and ceramic tile as well as plastics. I figured if it sticks to ceramic, it should stick to glass. The original green adhesive was still stuck to the glass extremely well so I I'm confident the epoxy will stick to that stuff. It is winter here now so I can't really go for a drive and test for wind noise no that I have adjusted both windows. At this point, I think it is safe to say the problem is resolved. I do have a tip for anyone needing to adjust the windows. After loosening the two 10mm nuts for the limit brackets and the brackets were free to move up and down, run the window up/down to height you are happy with. Test window sealing by closing the door and re-adjust height if necessary with the power window switch. When the glass is at the desired height, then tighten the 10mm nuts on the stop brackets and you are set to go. This took under a minute to do after the stop bracket on the glass was re-attached.

Thanks again for your help.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi By the looks of the pictures you made another bracket to sandwich the glass. If so do you think Stikaflex would help as well I'm in the middle of trying to sort my passenger window out

·
Registered 1999 SLK230
204 Posts
I glued mine some time ago and it feel off again last week. So as i was looking at the bracket, I noticed that it was bent beyond 90 deg. (Pict1)

So in effect every time the window shut, the bracket would be pulled away from the window, instead of all the fource being directed down.

A light tap with a knockometer fixed that (pict 2)

While i was at it i also elongated the existing hole into a slot (pict 3) and used the bolt method. (Pict 4)

As so many people have this problem (and it appears that it is confined to the inside bracket) i wonder if they are all over bent from new?

Anyway hopefully my pictures make it clear

Cheers from down under

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.