Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've seen a number of threads about this topic. When we got our SLK the window would go up too far. Through this forum I learned about the "L" bracket that can come unglued from the window. Low and behold, after removing the door card and the speaker, I found the stop loose at the bottom of the door. Working through the speaker hole, I cleaned off the old glue in the window and then did the same to the bracket. I got some epoxy, put the bracket back in place, then clamped it until the epoxy cured. Looked like I had it fixed, but within a week, the epoxy failed and I had to start over again.

There is a matching bracket on the outside of the glass that I suppose acts as a support to the inside bracket (they don't overlap completely due to the glass being in between and the brackets being identical. A better design would be to have the bottom of the outside "L" be a little longer). The bottom of the "L" has a small hole in each of them. Not sure what the purpose was, but I "repurposed" them by puttIng a small screw in place to act as a backup to the glue I did have to slightly elongate the hole one the bracket to get them to line up.

I did this all with the window completely lowered in the door. Well yesterday I had the glass removed and it gave me the perfect opportunity do document it in photos.

Hope this helps someone sometime.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Yes, this is a real pain. The dealer wanted $1500 to fix the right side. I did it myself but it was a bear to do and the fix lasted 3 months. If epoxy and roughing the glass won't do it, it seems hopeless. How big a job is it to get a new window with the metal brackets already on and replace the entire window? It also looks to be a monster job, maybe better to just get a whole door from a salvage yard. Any help here?

John

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.