Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered 2000 SLK200K
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
all right people, I have a MY00 SLK200K FL, I'm in love with the car. I have done many DIY fixes with the help of this GREAT forum, including front roof cylinder replacement, rainproofing, dash-lights replacement, MAF cleaning and many more...She is in perfect condition right now....

However, I noticed that I have a resident problem since day one. I have wind noise starting at about 60 mph, feels like coming from rear window area. I was thinking that this problem was because of rear window alignment but having other priorities to fix I always delayed to fix it.

Yesterday I decided to fix it. Got all my gear ready according to WIS instruction sheet. Rear windows seemed to be ok as both were 6-7 mm far away from the front windows (trim to front window). But one problem was probably the inclination of the rear windows. I seemed to me that the upper parts were not flush level with the fronts. Before removing the trim and fixing this I decided to fill the gap between windows to check if alignment was the real issue.

Guess what. After I filled the right side gap (with some kind of gum) I went to a test drive but the loud wind noise was still there. No changes at all.

Has anyone solved this problem? I am sure its something else making the wind noise. The rear lid closes just fine and seems aligned. But where that noise comes from?!? :tazz:

my only consolation is, spring is there and the top will be down for a while...

your help is appreciated
:Beer:

·
Registered
81 Posts
I am sure you will have lubricated all the rubber with Gummi Pfledge or similar. But could it be the little rear windows not quite marrying up to the seals? I had that, extra Gummi, massage the seals a bit and it went. I think I was lucky though!

·
Registered
320 Posts
Two things I'll mention:

1. Close the door with the windows/top all in the up position. Does the rear part of the door window sit nice and tight against the top and quarter window seals?? One very cold morning this winter the seal along the top where the drivers door window sat was so hard that it did not flex at all when the window pushed against it, as a result the window sat about 2mm away from the seal on the front edge of the quarter window.....Crazy wind noise. Once the car sat in the sun for a bit I rubbed the seals with some silicone lube, never happened again.
I realize it's probably not very cold where you are right now, buy maybe the seal has just gotten less flexible with time.

2. Are you 100% sure this is wind noise? These cars have very little (i.e. none) sound proofing between the interior cabin and the trunk area. If you have noisey rear tires the noise can echoe in the trunk and into the cab....Sounds very much like wind noise coming from behind your seat - my winter tires are bad for this.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.