Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
7,812 Posts
Yes they will fit It just means your rears will be 4 mm closer in to the car which is minimal. The 8.5 x 18's I just took off mine have a 35 offset and even with 255 tyres on they were still far enough away from the shock absorber to get my fingers between the two. The only reason I went for spacers on the ten spokes is that they are only 7.5 and have an offset of 35.

Interestingly when I measured the width of the tyres on the 18 wheels the rear 255's measure 9.5 inches from wall to wall and the 225's measure 9 inches. Considering the rims are an inch wider doesnt mean the tyre will be.

You wouldnt have any problems with those wheels

·
Don - Founding Member #4
5,857 Posts
:)Should fit OK. I believe the factory offset is 37mm front and 30mm rear. Four mm difference for the rear shouldn't be an issue.

·
Banned
7,812 Posts
:)Should fit OK. I believe the factory offset is 37mm front and 30mm rear. Four mm difference for the rear shouldn't be an issue.
Its 36 and 30 Its really to throw the rears out as they are wider, but 4 to 5 mm is nothing. The rears are less of a problem as you dont have a dirty great big caliper to avoid so if the wheels sit in a bit its not a problem as long as they dont get too close to the shocker

·
Don - Founding Member #4
5,857 Posts
:)Jon's very knowledgable on wheels and offset. I have a MB accessories brochure. Interesting, the standard USA 10 spoke SLK wheels are 36mm front and 30mm rear. The 17" AMG series III wheels (five spoke) are 37mm front and 30mm rear. The SLK 55 18" multi spoke wheels are 37mm front and 30mm rear. Most R171 17" wheels are 36mm and 37mm front. Not many subjects as confusing as wheel offset. Offset also varies between wheel diameter (16"-19").
Best to check with wheel manufacturer and seller when purchasing aftermarket wheels. When in doubt, ask.

·
Banned
7,812 Posts
:)Jon's very knowledgable on wheels and offset. I have a MB accessories brochure. Interesting, the standard USA 10 spoke SLK wheels are 36mm front and 30mm rear. The 17" AMG series III wheels (five spoke) are 37mm front and 30mm rear. The SLK 55 18" multi spoke wheels are 37mm front and 30mm rear. Most R171 17" wheels are 36mm and 37mm front. Not many subjects as confusing as wheel offset. Offset also varies between wheel diameter (16"-19").
Best to check with wheel manufacturer and seller when purchasing aftermarket wheels. When in doubt, ask.
Offset is a complex subject and as far as I can figure out seems to be a combination of accommodating the design to avoid clashing with other components and styling of the car. It has a bearing on where the centreline of the wheel is in realation to the centreline of the hub. There is a formula on the net that tells you about tyre wear and scrub based on offset etc. I find this is the most informative chart if your looking at MB wheels and the models they fit

http://www.alloywheelsdirect.net/information/fitting_chart/mercedes-benz

·
Banned
7,812 Posts
I think those wheels are designed for some of the C Class

But if you look at the section on SLK the AMG wheels have a 37 34 offset

·
Don - Founding Member #4
5,857 Posts
:confused:The brochure I'm referencing is the "Genuine Mercedes-Benz Accessories Wheels". Published 2005-2007? It shows a wheel for the R170, "Celaeno", 7 twin spoke wheel, which appears as the wheel in your link. The specs shows 7.5Jx17 ET 37 (B6 647 1821) and 8.5Jx17 ET 30 (B6 647 1822). Here's the LINK: http://www.ragtop.org/mbbrochures/2006/wheels.pdf . It's a 2006 version and a large PDF file. Give it time to load.

·
Banned
7,812 Posts
Ram I wouldnt worry about them. The offset is OK for AMG wheels for a 171 so they are going to fit. At least they are OEM. Must be thousands of cars on the roads with aftermarket alloys that arent causing any reported problems. My 18 fronts are aftermarket alloys and you were there when we all hit that pothole and there isnt a mark on my offside front rim

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
:confused:The brochure I'm referencing is the "Genuine Mercedes-Benz Accessories Wheels". Published 2005-2007? It shows a wheel for the R170, "Celaeno", 7 twin spoke wheel, which appears as the wheel in your link. The specs shows 7.5Jx17 ET 37 (B6 647 1821) and 8.5Jx17 ET 30 (B6 647 1822).
So that is a different part number to the one that i have posted.:confused:

·
Banned
7,812 Posts
As the damned insurance will consider this a modification, wouldnt they?
Ram I doubt if the average insurance company or assessor has a clue what offset even means let alone what offset is specified. The only way you can tell is by taking a wheel off and looking in the back of it. As the spec for AMG wheels for the 171 is 36 34 I doubt they would have a clue. Plus its not really a modification as your not straying from OEM spec. If that were the case them fitting any none OEM part like brake pads or discs etc could be classed as a modification

1 - 19 of 19 Posts