Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered '07 SLK55
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is how I test mounted my new iPad. I used the magnetic apple case which connects to the iPad by magnet and when I laid it out on the dash, I found that the magnetic strip on the other side of the case stuck to the magnet in the center speaker on the dash.

My question is: will this do any long term damage to the speaker? Q

If not, this could be an interesting way to get a much better navigation system using google maps and the iPad gps unit, as well as email and other features in the car. I could have my entire music library with me and even video if I wanted for the passenger.

There are multiple car related apps that measure acceleration and gforces which could be fun with this setup too.

If the speaker could be damaged, I'll explore other mounting options, but this is obviously the cleanest with nothing done to the car and you just have to yank on the magnet to take ther iPad with you after driving....

Reactions: etyu

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
In general, no, magnets don't damage speakers, but they can cause interference. I think I'd be a bit more concerned with how solid the iPad is help in place by the cover - my iPad (second gen) is pretty easily dislodged from the magnetic hinges...

·
Registered '07 SLK55
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe I'll add a Velcro strip to the cup holder cover and mount it that way, but my 3rd gen is hard to pull off the magnet...

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
Will be interested to see your set-up as I also have the New iPad. Photos (and narrative) much appreciated.

·
Registered '07 SLK55
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just had another idea:

I'm thinking of deleting my cup holder altogether with the cup holder delete tray from the slkstore. That removes the cup holders and gives you storage instead. Also, the cover flips up slightly rather than out like the cup holder tray. This would allow flipping the iPad up for access to the COMAND buttons for phone calls or such. COMAND NAV won't be needed as the iPad google maps NAV is infinitely better. I need to get an aux cable and see how iPad audio sounds.

Cup holder delete tray
SLKStore parts and accessories for the Mercedes-Benz SLK

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.