Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Super Moderator 2010 SLK300 2LOOK
14,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi SLK geniuses, I'm looking to purchase a smart top for my 2001 320. I have a key fob that unlocks the doors when I point it anywhere at the car and, apparently I do not have a sensor on the drivers side door.

Can I have a smart top?

Thank you so much.

p.s.A downpour soaked us the other night, and the other day while by myself, I was followed by some 'creeper' with my top down and would've felt safer top up when I had to stop.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,373 Posts
MK, it does say:

Remote control of convertible top - open and close your convertible top using the original factory remote control key fob.

and you have that

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
Agree with John and Sarge. SmartTop uses the lock/unlock function of your remote key. Leslie installed it in her SLK32 herself, just need the boldness to crimp wires and she said a couple of wires to cut :eek: Honestly it is do-able, just need to be methodical and not be rushed.

Reactions: simplyslk

·
14,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So my fob will work since it's an '01 and I don't have infra red. :)

Gonna order it! Yea!!

·
14,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks so much! I appreciate all your help! You guys rock! xoxo

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
yes smart top will work on your car. I installed one on my car last year. Took 1.5 hours but that only because i never did it before, now it would take 30 minutes. you only need to attach wires to wires with supplied T connectors, Its alot easier than the directions make it and the directions are very easy. Best directions i have ever used.

·
97,373 Posts
thanks Kraazyman

i will probably assist her and knew that those directions seemed very cumbersome for such a hi-tech device and should be similar to the r171 mod.

·
14,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jeff, you and the other experts have gone out of your way to help me since I got my SLK, I just want you to know how much I really appreciate it.

A very sincere thank you for always being there for me.

You ROCK!

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK350
1,296 Posts
When it's done, you're going to wonder why you didn't do it sooner!
It's amazing how this one device can add to the overall enjoyment of your car.

·
97,373 Posts
as long as you have the original key fob that unlocks/locks your doors

·
97,373 Posts

·
14,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
looks like uts out if stock....ill keep checking, thats a must do mod!!!
I just picked mine up at mods4cars.com they were about $30.00 less than the SLKstore.

We'll be busy installing it this weekend! Can't wait!!

·
Registered
86 Posts
I got mine at Mods4cars too. All i can say is follow the directions slowly and you will be one happy fella. Plus when you get your little "box" its much easier to set your personal settings by plugging it into your laptop with a USB cable and use the pull down windows. You'll see what i mean when you get to that point.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.