Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
*Registered
2001 SLK320
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, new guy here. I picked up my 2001 SLK 320 last weekend. It has been sitting broke down for a few years. The car is not cranking over. I have bought a brand new battery. The cooling fan was coming on full blast when turning the key on, so I ordered a new K40 relay. Replaced the K40 relay today, which fixed the fan from turning on but still no crank. The #9 fuse is blown and has a short somewhere. Will this blown fuse keep the car from cranking? I have checked all the obvious things with no luck (dome light, truck light, alarm siren under the cowl).

Looking forward to getting this car back on the road!

·
Founding Member 2006
106,924 Posts
r170 fuses and what they are for

Attachments

·
Founding Member 2006
106,924 Posts

·
*Registered
2001 SLK320
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Thank you for the diagrams. I have looked over them before. I am just trying to figure out if this fuse would cause the can to not crank over. I would assume this is not the case but just looking for some confirmation.

·
Founding Member 2006
106,924 Posts

·
**Premium Member '02 R170 SLK V8 5.0 & '00 SLK320
6,091 Posts
f35 and f37 are the 2 that feed DAS / RF Module, so unlikely f9 will cause no crank, f9 feeds PSE and ATA functions, which will not Immobilise Car ......................

What we have here is a classic symptom that Drive Authorisation (Immobiliser) is not allowing the Motor ECU to crank the Engine .....................

Usually caused by DAS / RF Module failure, needs SDS, (and only SDS) , to confirm what the Drive Auth is doing between the 2 modules !!

HTH :)

·
*Registered
1998 SLK230
201 Posts
What we have here is a classic symptom that Drive Authorisation (Immobiliser) is not allowing the Motor ECU to crank the Engine
HTH :)
So disconnecting ( and inspecting ) the PSE (as easier to access) and replacing the Fuse will confirm 2 things ATA=history if fuse is blown again. ATA=good if not blown.

The IF conditions:
*1 ATA in data card
*2 PSE condition if *1 is true (inspecting the cabling-shorted somewhere, rusted connectors on PSE, communications)
*3 "start error" on IC while cranking
Not to difficult for a start.

·
6,091 Posts
PSE and ATA has absolutely no effect on Cranking / Starting .

·
*Registered
2003 SLK230
675 Posts
So, to be clear, replacing #9 fuse blows right away? That is curious. 9 feeds the alarm and I wonder if that will prevent the car from starting. I'll experiment with mine later today and see what happens. While it's possible it's a DAS problem, another explanation could be a bad CPS which commonly fail though fortunately, they are cheap and easy to replace.
Welcome to the group BTW.

·
6,091 Posts

·
*Registered
2001 SLK320
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So disconnecting ( and inspecting ) the PSE (as easier to access) and replacing the Fuse will confirm 2 things ATA=history if fuse is blown again. ATA=good if not blown.

The IF conditions:
*1 ATA in data card
*2 PSE condition if *1 is true (inspecting the cabling-shorted somewhere, rusted connectors on PSE, communications)
*3 "start error" on IC while cranking
Not to difficult for a start.
I have been testing for a ground/short at the fuse with my multi meter. I unplugged the PSE and still have the the short.

What are you referring to when you say ATA in data card?

·
6,091 Posts
We also have a search function ;)

Mercedes Benz Acronyms :-

ATA = Anti Theft Alarm = Siren which is very likely the cause of the f9 keep blowing, replace the Siren and will all be good :)

·
6,091 Posts
and will all be good
Actually that is misleading, what I mean by that statement is that the f9 shouldn't blow any more, however I very seriously doubt that will be the cause of the no cranking tho, back to # 6 ;)

·
*Registered
1998 SLK230
201 Posts
What are you referring to when you say ATA in data card?
ATA = Anti Theft Alarm = Siren which is very likely the cause of the f9 keep blowing, replace the Siren and will all be good :)
Data card is a list of the factory fitted equipment accessible via the VIN number of that car.

And the question is ATA or Scorpio...
We know Scorpio is totally different

·
*Registered
1998 SLK230
201 Posts
@efair,
As M4rCu5 explained - UK manufactured, dealer fitted, no longer in USE and difficult to repair/check thing, that is messing up with the car's DAS, as it is connected just before it.
However, the UK market is different than USA (OBD || in USA for early models) and that is something I should have checked (OP's details are 2001_USA), before bringing more confusion.

So Riley3522 please ignore all related so Scorpion Alarm I mentioned.
If not sure if you have ATA publish your VIN, I am sure jbanks15 will be able to surprise you with something you do not know about your new vehicle!

·
*Registered
2000 SLK320
95 Posts
You could just disconnect the siren to prove a point on the blowing fuse,,,,,,,there's plenty of SLKs running around with it permanently unplugged where the internal battery has leaked ruining the PCB and the owners are to tight to buy a new one :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts