Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,

As my 16 spoke AMG rims are still at the shop getting redone/powder coated, I was wondering if I can use my old R170 AMG 17" Snow tires and rims for the time being until my 18" come back from the shop?

I looked up my original offsets for my SLK55 and they are:

ET37 Front, ET34 Back

I believe the R170 AMG I's offsets are:
ET37 Front, ET34 Back

I'm still confused as to the science of wheel offsets. I've test fitted them on the car as it sure looks a heck of a lot better than leaving the car on jackstands! ;)

The car rolls, but I don't want to take any unnecessary risks as the front caliper looks awfully close to the rim.

Thanks!
Jerry

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes thanks,

so based on the info on the site, the R170 AMG I's offset of ET37 & ET34 are the same as my offsets for the SLK55.

In theory, these would work even though, visually, they look so close to rubbing the caliper?

·
Banned
7,812 Posts
My 17's are really close to the front calipers. As long as yours are not catch anything when you spin them then you will be OK Offset can be confusing. The higher the offset number the closer in the wheel is to the disc. so a 34 offset will sit closer in than a 30 offset by 4 mm. The main thing to watch for is clearance of the caliper and the suspension. Spoke design can also be a factor but as long as they are not touching you will be OK

·
Premium Member
10,745 Posts
Remember the offset / final wheel position depends on the width " J" of the rims , but as JonB says , if you can spin the wheels without problems and also that when you fully turn the steering there's no rubbing , you should be fine . Carefull with the depth of the bolts on the rear in case they fowl the hand brake up !

·
Banned
7,812 Posts
The drum threads are ten mm deep my bolts protrude into the drums by about 4 mm and no probs. I wouldnt go any longer than 14to 15 mm of thread showing through the back of the wheel to be on the safe side

1 - 6 of 6 Posts