Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my coffee in front of me, computer wizzin away when I got the call... "honey, I got in an accident". Some bozo (no driver's license, but did have insurance) pulled left in front of her, got freaked when she slammed on her brakes, and HE hits his brakes. boom. Then the guy gets out of his car.. and runs away! lol. He came back a few minutes later, and did take responsibility when the cops got there.
The air bags didn't deploy, and other than some freaked out nerves, wifey is ok. I took her to the Dr.s anyway for a checkout.
The car is at a very good body shop but it will be several weeks before we see it again. Hopefully in time to make the Death Valley run. We need a weekend off!

Attachments

·
Don - Founding Member #4
5,857 Posts
:tu:Glad wifey is OK. Sorry for the damage to the SLK 55. Good luck with a good repair and back to action.

·
Registered
45 Posts
It's amazing how much it costs to repair a minor "fender bender" with all of the small pieces involved. If airbags deploy, things get insane.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ya. Here you don't NEED a driver's license to buy a car or register a car. The insurance on the car was under his father's name. It's up to my insurance company to deal with.
The car was no virgin when we got it. I bought it cheap because it was well "driven". The front end had already been repaired, but not done very well. I could still see where the rock chips were, and hadn't been attended to before paint. That will all be gone now. ;-)

·
Premium member 2009 SLK55 AMG
4,935 Posts
Wow, Todd, that sucks. Glad to hear Grace is OK and I hope you guys can make it to the Death Valley run.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,278 Posts
Hope all gets taken care of

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Todd,

Sorry to see the damage and happy to hear that your wife is OK. Gotta say that I've been in the same situation myself....but luckily never been hit or "met" the other car....I think it's Simi. Over the 28 years I have lived here the influx of valley-ites have really changed the way people drive and the results you can see on the front of your black beauty. I'm sure the 55 will come back as beautiful as ever....still like to get together sometime.

Mike

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
As others have said, important bit is the wife is ok, and the car can be repaired. Make sure you get it done right this time - and make sure they check the A/C for leaks before you accept it back. Loads of pipes without any flex in 'em in the area that was damaged.

·
Premium Member
3,248 Posts
As others have said, important bit is the wife is ok, and the car can be repaired. Make sure you get it done right this time - and make sure they check the A/C for leaks before you accept it back. Loads of pipes without any flex in 'em in the area that was damaged.
Dittos!...

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK350
1,296 Posts
Todd, glad to hear that Grace is Ok and that there is valid insurance.

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
Sorry to hear about the accident. Glad the guy actually came back to fess up. Where did he think he was going to run to?!?!?

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
Sorry to learn about this but very glad that Grace is fine. As John stated, make sure it is fixed up to spec, including the HVAC and the high pressure headlamp washers. Looks like a new hood is needed also. Hope you guys can make it for the Death Valley get-together.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'll start making a "check list". Thanks for all the well wishes. We're gonna look at booking Death Valley. We always have our "back up" SLK. ;-)

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Why? what's wrong with wifey's face? :confused:

:rb

I'll be glad if they just get it to a level of "I can't tell anything was ever hit" but I doubt that will happen. Here in Republic of CA, they have to use water base paints on cars now. They SUCK. My 230's hood was painted a few months ago. I got sprayed by the neighbor's sprinkler and after one day, I now have PERMANENT water spots in the paint. I also had a bird poop on there and it sat for a few hours, which left the paint bubbled with a permanent mark. The water base paints aren't very strong.

Maybe they can do a facelift conversion while it's there at the body shop.

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
. . . Here in Republic of CA, they have to use water base paints on cars now. They SUCK. . . .
Mercedes have used them since the R170 (from an SLK viewpoint), and, because, as you say waterbased paints 'suck', they started putting ceramic flakes in the clearcoat on R171s. Not impressed :( with most paints, if they don't smell good,they don't last well. Bring back cellulose or two pack epoxy - real 'whale killing' stuff, which, as you only need to apply it once is acksherly more 'green' (ok, not as green as Andradite!!).

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK350
6,796 Posts
Breaks your heart to be sure, but glad your Mrs is A-Ok.
Juniour probably ran off and called Daddy or Mommy...

Todd, what about zipping over to Nevada and have it clear coated right away? Stop by and drink some of BH's beer while it's getting done...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.