Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Because you stand a good chance of breaking your roof assembly, as I have just done!

In my case the divider got stuck against the rear glass and let go with an almighty BANG half way through the retract roof cycle.

Damage done seems to be limited to the where the wings attach to the divider, which I am in the process of repairing (seems it's epoxied to the fiberglass).

I will take some pictures a little later.

Seems my purpose in life is to be a cautionary tale for others...

Brooce

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,433 Posts
sorry to hear that. mind telling us how 'things' got on the shelf? by shelf, you are referring to the part below the rear window when the top is up for the newbies?

·
Don - Founding Member #4
5,857 Posts
:confused:Can't imagine the need to stored anything there? Sorry for the bad experience.

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,400 Posts
Because you stand a good chance of breaking your roof assembly, as I have just done!

In my case the divider got stuck against the rear glass and let go with an almighty BANG half way through the retract roof cycle.

Damage done seems to be limited to the where the wings attach to the divider, which I am in the process of repairing (seems it's epoxied to the fiberglass).

I will take some pictures a little later.

Seems my purpose in life is to be a cautionary tale for others...

Brooce
Quite sorry to learn about this. This shelf lifts up and the D-shaped "ears"/wings retract, when the roof is being retracted/deployed. It you look at the other side (presumably undamaged) it has a small spring-loaded arm at the undersurface (hope this part is undamaged).

Owners manual does warn about NOT placing anything on this shelf (don't they used to call this the hat shelf in the old times, as people place their hats here, for the non-convertibles?)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:confused:Can't imagine the need to stored anything there? Sorry for the bad experience.
Yes... Foolish and regrettable move on my part. I was picking someone up in a hurry an stuffed a small bag up there out of the way...

It may not entirely be my fault though, I discovered a part sitting in trunk recently and found it was part of the roof mechanism that is responsible for the actuation of the parcel shelf area (I should stop calling it that, I know).

It appeared to have been sitting there for some time and since I'd been using the roof without fault I figured I was in the clear.

Anyway, as far as I can figure the extra weight on the shelf along with the lack of locator was enough to jam the shelf so when I opened the roof it ripped itself to pieces.

I noticed at least one mechanism adjustment screw on either side as well, and neither were set, not sure if that had something to do with the self destruct feature.

I've attached a few pictures to illustrate.

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Good luck with the repair...I admire your tenacity! Would the part be considered a tonneau?

I'm not sure what the polite word to call it is, but it appears there's a date on it of 02/08/2010 which suggests that this isn't the first time this problem has occurred.

The portion that has broken off is a part of the roof hinge that guides the tonneau through part of its motion, without it you run the risk of the of the D-wing jamming the roof as you're relying on the rigidity of the tonneau to help the good side actuate the bad side.

Question is, why was it broken in the first place....?

My guess is some idiot like me :biglaugh:

Anyway, seems that one of the right D-wing (from rear of car, looking forward) likes to sit a fair bit lower than the left and conversely does not like to come as far forward as the left and I can clearly see there's an adjustment for the lower position in the form of a screw and locknut, but other than the portion that is broken off I am yet to find an adjustment for the up limit of the D-wing.

I'm in Florida at the moment, so I'll wait till the sun's up tomorrow and the mosquito's have subsided.

Oh, and I put a picture up previously for the location of the roof hydraulic pump bleed valve in case anyone else gets stuck.

Attachments

·
Banned
7,812 Posts
Hope you get it sorted. Like me last week with a box of tissues behind my seat that forced the seat drive out. Lesson learnt Dont store stuff behind the seat if they are electric ones :(

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hope you get it sorted. Like me last week with a box of tissues behind my seat that forced the seat drive out. Lesson learnt Dont store stuff behind the seat if they are electric ones :(
Unforgiving little things, aren't they!?

I pulled the pivot pin out and it looks like the bit that's broken is pressed into the arm connecting to the roof and while it doesn't seem to be available separately I may be able to source a wrecked hinge and salvage that one component out, saving me in excess of $1000 in parts (I hope)

Attached is a pic to illustrate.

FYI: If anyone out there has access to a dead hinge they'd like to sell (right or left) or would be willing to machine one or more of these guides for me from steel (original is sintered metal) for a price, I'm happy to negotiate.

Attachments

·
Registered
352 Posts
omg i can't beleive you did that.

good luck with the repair.

BTW isn't there a sticker that warns against putting things on the "shelf"? or was that removed?

·
Registered
414 Posts
There isn't a sticker on mine. I hadn't thought to throw anything up there, and now thanks to Brooce's story, I'll never be tempted to! :eek:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
In my defense it's becoming obvious that this is not the first time this car has had a roof issue, as evidenced by three very slight dimples on the left hand front side of the roof panel. I had noticed them at purchase and been curious what had caused them, now upon delving into the roof mechanism I can clearly see that it was the portion of the LHS hinge responsible for actuating the shelf/D-wings contacting the roof with some force that caused them. And I know for a fact that those two parts should NEVER meet.

As I'd mentioned before, I had also noticed that the LHS of the shelf was higher than the RHS and I think it'd been set that way intentionally so the LHS could guide the RHS in lieu of the guide. I've tried it with the shelf set out of level (as it used to be) and it works, and when I tried it set level (as it should be) the RHS D-wing gets caught on the the RHS pillar as it does not retract in time when the roof is cycling closed.

Anyway, moral of the story is do not put anything on that shelf area ever and if your roof behaves oddly even for a moment when cycling stop and check it!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thats bad luck mate, i would be cautious of having a metal one made, i would imagine that the part thats broken is the weak link in the hinge mechanism. If it ever happened with a metal one, the damage could be a lot worse at some other point and potentially cost you even more.

·
Registered
60 Posts
can someone post a photo of what this "parcel shelf" look like when not in parts? I'm about to purchase my slk this weekend, and would like to not activate this self-destruct feature that brooce mentioned.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.