Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here in Thailand, and in many parts of Asia, car owners protect their tires by placing full plastic bottles of water next to their tires. Why do you think we do it?

I only protect our S and SLK this way when we are going away on a trip in which we will leave our cars behind. Some people to it every time they park their cars.

There is a very good reason for this. Can you guess why?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
To wash your hands after recovering the car?

·
Premium 2006 SLK55 AMG (Kleemann K2)
10,723 Posts
Water evaporates and stay next to the tire so they dont get dry, I do that in my interior when I store the car I put two bucket's of water in the driver and passengers seat so they dont get Dry,crack or tear.

·
Banned
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Once I tell you you will slap your forehead and say "Why didn't I know that!" Come back after dinner and I'll tell you [It's 5:30PM here in Bangkok].

·
Banned
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Water evaporates and stay next to the tire so they dont get dry, I do that in my interior when I store the car I put two bucket's of water in the driver and passengers seat so they dont get Dry,crack or tear.
The bottles are sealed shut. Try again.

·
Banned
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here in Thailand, and in many parts of Asia, car owners protect their tires by placing full plastic bottles of water next to their tires. Why do you think we do it?

I only protect our S and SLK this way when we are going away on a trip in which we will leave our cars behind. Some people to it every time they park their cars.

There is a very good reason for this. Can you guess why?
The answer:

Many dogs in Asia roam free. And, here in Bangkok you rarely see them on a leash. But, of course, they are not expected to pee in the house so they are turned to the streets (or, in the case of condos they wander into the garage) to do their work.

It is well known that in Thailand a male dog's favorite latrine is a car tire (we have so few trees here). So how, short of standing armed guards next to your car, do you keep male dogs from using your tires as a toilet?

Easy, you place a clear plastic water bottle next to each tire.

"And, how does that keep the dog away?", you might well ask.

Ahh...male dogs are like male humans: they are protective of their 'privates'. When a dog approaches the protected tire he sees some reflective movement in the clear bottle. And, he is therefore very reluctant to lift his leg over this unknown danger.....so he moves on.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
That´s really clever! But what are you doing with elephants?

·
Premium Member 2000 SLK230
2,624 Posts
Hmm...I never would have guessed. Stinkin' dogs. :mad:

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK55 AMG
3,053 Posts
Alroumi, maybe that works in kuwait, but if you did that around here, it would damage the interior from rust (the heat would make the water evaporate too quickly). what you should do is oil the leather. Many car collectors here even put special moisture absorbing sand bags/ceramic bars, or even electric dehumidifers in their car during storage.

·
Premium 2006 SLK55 AMG (Kleemann K2)
10,723 Posts
Alroumi, maybe that works in kuwait, but if you did that around here, it would damage the interior from rust (the heat would make the water evaporate too quickly). what you should do is oil the leather. Many car collectors here even put special moisture absorbing sand bags/ceramic bars, or even electric dehumidifers in their car during storage.
I use the Meguirs Gold Class Rich leather cleaner/condition works fine for the seats and the nappa leather trim on the door ''inner'' whilst for the plastics and vynl I use another Make (forgot whats it called )for cleaning the dash and plastic and works fine for me; Really I am not prepaired to pay $200 for leather conditioning/cleaning total BS.

It costs me $30 to do it by myself for ever 60 days.:)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Clever...but suprised that it works. My nutter of the dog would just run off with the water bottle, leaving the next roaming dog free to pee.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.