Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
...all gasoline turbo engines suffer from this :
Their turbo units not only operete at extreme speeds but also under extreme temperature conditions. And this is not exagurated.
Steel ball bearings were not good enough for those tiny turbines. So in recent years elite turbo manufactures employed 100 percent ceramic bearings to revolve their high speed shafts.
Balls and races are all ceramic(stone) can you imagine?
One of these tiny bearings fitted on a 0.248inch(6.3mm) shaft cost not less than 220€uro plus labor for replacing...Also carbon accumulation on the turbine blades will soon make the unit run out of balance in extreme high speeds causing severe damage to the bearings.
I know because, i used to manufacture replacement thrust bearings for automobile turbines 3 years ago when i was runing a dedicated machine shop.
I'd like to warn those folks who may think of purchasing a used fast car with turbocharged engine...if the car is not under warrantee anymore do not even think of touching it. You can't imagine how often you are gonna drive into the turbo service shop.
Mercedes Benz is unique on earth for designing those slow REV and virtualy trouble free automobile "kompressors" (screw compressors), belt driven by crankshaft and consisting of two counter rotating screwlike shafts with massive steel blades ground to tolerances that leave an air gap of less than 8 microns.
Most sufficient compressor design ever.
And this is not a quote of mine. Everybody knows what means M.Benz Kompressor engine.
A revolutionery, automobile no-failure powerplant of 21st century

cheers...cnc44

·
Registered
165 Posts
Just been reading about the new VW Golf with a 1.4 petrol engine both turbocharged and supercharged. Is that the best of both worlds as it seems to provide good performance and diesel-like economy?

John

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.