Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a r170 1996 230 SLK, it has a few issues, the original engine let go after 12 miles from the dealer.
On inspection it was full of white crap, and the head was corroded so new engine has gone in, however, what ever was wrong before is still amiss as the car over heats.
The system was flushed and new water pump put in, the fan spins (its very noisy so its easy to tell) it overheats very quickly - and I have discovered that the heater solenoid is missing and bypassed with a t-piece instead.

When you rev it the engine revs develops no power (in fact less power) and gets super hot instead.

any ideas as to why someone has taken the solenoid out, as obviously it can now only blow hot air, but I am at a loss as to what fault would lead you to pull it out and bypass it ...

I would have upgraded to a thicker aluminum radiator eventually, but I guess I can do that next along with fitting an oil cooler and bigger intercooler while I am in that part of the car - thing is I am a bit loathe to throw more parts at it in desperation.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.