Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you may know I recently bought myself a resto project. Well, that being said I've had to take the car to the shop 2 twice already for my check engine light. 1st time was the k40 relay, and directly after that the light came back on for a hose being bad (don't know what hose, all i know is that it was dry rotted and they replaced it for free). But now the light has reared its ugly head yet again. :( I'll take it back at some point this week to see what it is now. Pray its the last time for a while. I'm running out of money, and would like to be able to drive it around without the fear of that silly little light appearing.

·
Minion
5,602 Posts
Oh dear...

I bought the my 170 in April of this year. It has been to the shop a minimum of 8 times in 5 months for repairs and maintenance that was over due. Every time I turn around and its working perfectly, BAM something breaks. Some wire goes bad, a lightbulb goes out, my stereo speakers fail on the drivers side, or I have the wrong tires on the car.

[this is to provide levity.. I promise lol]

That car broke me and drained my bank account to almost nothing. The amount of cash for repairs alone is staggering. And while we're all here to help, sometimes you just have to wait it out. It will be OK lol. And at some point, the repairs will stop. You must remember these are 10+ year old cars. So is the wiring and 75-90% of the parts in them. One by one [as you start fixing things] other things will happen. Hopefully the good folks here will help along the way.

I feel you! It gets better..I promise ;)

·
Registered
734 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah i knew what I was in for when i decided to buy it. Like I said, its a project car. I have my ugly looking 2000 Nissan Altima that has worked like a champ for me the past two years. So it's not like i depend on this SLK for a daily driver. I just want to get it to the point I can drive it around without worry. Then I'll start doing all the cosmetic things I was waiting to do to it. But for now, looks like that engine is priority numero uno.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I thought the idea of a 'resto project' was to spend time & money on it (and your skills, not a garages ) to get it back to original or better condition :confused:

I plan on spending lots of time on it. But I want a garage to get it to a certain point for me. I've never worked on cars, outside of oil changes and replacing an AC condenser in my nissan. So I'm a little hesitant to just tear into it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To reduce the time required for error code checks, why not buy one of the cheap BT units mentioned here http://www.slkworld.com/slk-r170-general-discussion/51401-amazing-affordable-bluetooth-obdii-obd2-scanner.html, along with the inexpensive Torque Pro app for Android?

NB I may be an enthusiast for these items, but I have no connection to anyone who's involved in their development/sale/promotion.

I have an iPhone so can't use that one, I'll look into one that works for an iPhone tho, thanks.

·
Registered
161 Posts
EPerk, if it makes you feel any better, I never raised the hood on my car except to add oil when the oil light came on until about 6-8 weeks ago when the dealership told me I needed to spend $1000 on a tune up or it would not make it out of the driveway.

Since my first post I have changed the spark plugs and wires, replaced the valve cover gasket, replaced the crankcase breather hoses, replaced the MAF, replaced the brake booster hose (broke it while replacing the breather hoses) and replaced the coolant reservoir. I have found these cars to be relatively easy to work on (especially after trying to work on my mom's Chrysler this weekend)

The people on this thread are great and they will do everything they can to help you along the way. The 230s have a lot of DIYers on here that have posted step by step instructions on how to do a lot of the work so all you have to do is search a topic, buy the parts and get dirty. The satisfaction of getting your car "healthy" is just as good as making her "pretty."

Put the cosmetics on hold (I have as well) and get the stuff under the hood fixed first.

+1 on starting with the hoses, belts and filters. Der Flieger is right, it will get rid of most of the nuisance problems.

Also get some MAF cleaner and clean the MAF. Don't forget to check all the drain holes as well and make sure they are not clogged. That alone will save you some money from having flooding issues in your trunk and passenger cabin.

Good luck, we are here if you need us.:tu:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.