·
Administrator - Founding Member
92,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Raphael Orlove
Filed to: CAR DESIGN
MERCEDES SL
9/16/14 12:17pm

You know how some car designs grow on you? Whatever the opposite of that is, the current Mercedes SL.

I'm not sure if other cars in the Mercedes stable (like the very clean AMG GT) have made the SL look ugly by contrast, or if there's something about the SL's shape that's just wrong. Maybe it was masked in the thrilling newness of the car back in 2012.

Even with the best color and the best lighting it's just... erf.

Why, why is it so hideous now, in 2014?

The comments are here:

Why Is The Mercedes SL Getting So Ugly?

·
Registered
233 Posts
The side view is very Chrysler Crossfire, which is not to say it's bad, just very derivative which is surprising considering the history of those companies. The downside of the styling for me is the strange conjunction of smooth curves and sharp angles...like a cheap body kit.

·
Sadly Gregg has passed away
2,432 Posts
I see nothing "ugly" about the current SL. Admittedly, it is a bit overplayed with vents and sharp edges, but at least it's not laden with Star Wars like fiberglass appendages that mean nothing aerodynamically. In my opinion, car styling regardless of make is moving towards the anime Japanese tuner look.

Let's be honest.....the exterior look of most cars is driven by the manufacturer's idea of what the largest possible customer group would prefer. This is usually derived from focus groups of a targeted demographic. Unfortunately, art and aesthetics are not socially important in the current age.....just look at fashions young people are sporting. It's a manifestation of the hat turned sideways pants on the ground gansta' look.

I personally like the Pininfarina style.....smooth with curves in all the right places.....just like a proper woman should look :wink:

·
fastdawg
4,382 Posts
I'm not a fan of the front end, but I'm not a fan of the SLK's new front end either. But the car in general, I have no issue with. I'd take it if you gave it to me!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts