Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,192 Posts
I've read that We drive on the Left, due to people riding horses back in the "old days" where right handed, so the sword point (Think King Arthur type sword..!!) didn't hit the rider coming the other way...??

...And people in non commonwealth country's drive on the right, because they didn't want to do the same as the British...!! >:D

·
Super Moderator
24,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've seen jousting touted too!

These days, we stay on the left due to the hand signals, well 'bird'.

·
Super Moderator
24,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Even in the 1960's children were punished if using the right hand to write.

Back in the days of jousting the lefties would probably be seen as devils, or cursed.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Now we Brits drive on the left - well most of the time, but we buy our cars from all over. Now when I top the Merc up with fuel the fuel cap is on the right hand side of the car (which is convenient). I pull up at the pump (with the pump on the the drivers side and fill up). Now the Merc was made in Germany where they drive on the right so either they move the filling cap from one side to the other for LHD cars or German drivers have to walk around the back of the car to fill up. My Honda Civic is a pain because the fuel cap is on the left hand side so I have to walk around the back of the car. The Honda Civic is a Japanese car and they drive the same side of the road as we do, so a bit strange the cap isn't on the other side. My fathers old Jag had two fuel tanks with a fuel cap on each side so they had it covered (or you cant get it right at all depending on your point of view). For those of us who are thrown into confusion when approaching the pumps in a hire car, look for the arrow next to the pump symbol on your dash board which indicates where the filler cap is. Easy isn't it (not really), the light stork on the column is on the left so when I want to indicate to overtake and change down at the same time I cant on RHD. Some cars move these controls for lights and wipers from one side to the other almost guaranteeing you turn on your wipers when you overtake. I borrowed a Mercedes C class the other day and they put the gear change (Automatic) on the right side of the column (help!!). Hell with this, I'm buying a McLaren F1 and driving down the middle of the road in future :)

·
Administrator - Founding Member
92,843 Posts

·
Administrator - Founding Member
92,843 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
passenger side/right side of car USA. opposite side of antenna

see my pic?

So as I suspected the fuel filler does not move between RHD and LHD models. This favours RHD in this instant, surprising for a LHD Country of origin. I really hate dragging the fuel hose over the back of the car if the available pumps are only on the wrong side for filling!

Your car looks nice in black - shiny clean too :)

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Latin - I took 5 years of beatings at school because of that dead language.

Sinister = Left
Dexter = Right

One disadvantage of RHD cars are the new touch pads, usually in the centre console. Not as useful if you are right handed.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts