Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
7,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We pay what is laughingly called " A Road Fund Licence" commonly known as road tax. For my 350 its over 400 pounds a year for this !!!!!

Attachments

·
Banned
7,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
In one of our Counties someone painted FIX ME by all the pot holes. The County Council were spending money investigating who the culprit is as they intend to prosecute them for causing criminal damage to the road surface !!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
56 Posts
We pay road tax not for the maintenance of our roads, but to support the unemployed,unmarried mothers in their state paid houses, and any other lazy git who chooses not to work and live off the backs of others, less than 20% of the billions collected goes on road maintenance.

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
Because no-one has the political balls to put the duty on fuel instead, which would be justifiable on the 'polluter pays' principle. That way even the pikies get to pay some tax.

Basically current UK politics are aimed at nailing the 'posh' classes. 99% of the population don't care if posh people get hammered for tax. You are driving a premium car, therefore you're a well off posh git (though of course we both know you are not), who deserves to pay all the tax.

Meanwhile the trackie-bottomed spongers, get to sit on their ample backsides with their hands out. For them, working for a living is a mug's game and they all get to vote to keep it that way.

The other 'reason' for having a tax disc, is that a valid MOT and current insurance certificate are nominally required to be produced at least once per year. In today's online culture, probably a bit redundant but there ya go.

In theory the current road fund licence weighting towards higher fee for bigger cars, on the face of it addresses the rich flashy car owner pays, while the eco-conscious fuel sipping motorist doesn't. It's all bollocks, because it fails to account for annula mileage and how much the individual uses the road...

"I don't believe it!"

Starting to sound like him, may as well use the lingo... :)

·
Banned
7,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Now lads be careful we musnt get political or the whole thread will be removed

What I will say though is. As a Parish Councillor I was disgusted with the remark made to me recently by a County Councillor who advised me that Highways was now the lowest priority in this County :mad:

·
Banned
7,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am happy to say that my responsibilities as a Parish Councillor are for Highways, footpaths and police. So the county council hate me as I am a constant thorn in their sides. Pot holes in my village are soon filled in. :))

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
I would be concerened also for the damage to alloys and the numerous coil spring damage done to our cars .

I know its meant to be a certain depth to take to the council for a claim !

I think its meant to be a foot deep before you can claim now ! ;)

·
Banned
7,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think its POT luck :) The hole we all hit on the sheep chase I was certain had done some damage to my wheel and tyre but it didnt. I inspected both very carefully and not a mark. Yet Hans who was behind me had damage to the edge of his wheel. He must have caught the edge of the hole whereas I went straight into it.

There is I believe a website where you can get advice and assistance on claiming off the local authority for pot hole damage. Its disgraceful. At least two cyclists I know of have lost their lives due to pot holes.

·
Premium Member
2,117 Posts
in the US gas taxes are used for this, but its been sliding here as well, as more and more bridges fall into disrepair, and roads go to pot...fortunately major highways, at least in Texas, are in good shape for the most part...

·
Banned
7,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
in the US gas taxes are used for this, but its been sliding here as well, as more and more bridges fall into disrepair, and roads go to pot...fortunately major highways, at least in Texas, are in good shape for the most part...
Our motorways are kept up to scratch but as they are higher speed roads, pot holes could cause a major pile up. We did have one brainless council NOrthamptonshire who tarred and gritted a section of the M1 some years ago. I think Autoglass made a fortune from it. Who in their right mind spreads loose gravel on a 70 mph highway ????

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
You would be surprised how many cars driving around with broken coil springs around and hairline cracked alloys especially the bigger amg rim's .

·
Banned
7,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You would be surprised how many cars driving around with broken coil springs around and hairline cracked alloys especially the bigger amg rim's .
Anyone hitting a bad pothole etc should either inspect the components if they are competent or if not get it checked for peace of mind

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
Anyone hitting a bad pothole etc should either inspect the components if they are competent or if not get it checked for peace of mind
The trouble is the roads are so bad round here and im not joking !
Its like a dojem course on some roads .

The amount of coil sections i see on side of roads is a joke .
and drivers are unaware they have damage until its mot /service time months later . :(

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
I hit a big one a few weeks ago. Had the car in the air on a wheel-free the next day for a butcher's underneath. Nothing damaged, but was genuinely surprised to find all OK.

In fairness to the local council/highways maintenance folks, they've had an astonishingly difficult year to deal with. Can't be an easy task when every budget is under seige. That doesn't speak for decades of under investment of course.

As for priorities, potholes vs functioning local A&E department or schools that are able to educate kids, etc... Something ends up bottom of the list in the same way that something is top.

·
Banned
7,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
When they are paying the Chief Exec 250,000 pounds a year I know where I would be looking to save money !!!!!

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
When they are paying the Chief Exec 250,000 pounds a year I know where I would be looking to save money !!!!!
I can imagine. But you know what? I wouldn't want his job. Might as well paint a target on your back. They couldn't pay me enough mate.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts