Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you may know, I am now also a retired IT computer guy besides military retired. Just got a call from 780-409-4786.

Some guy with an accent was telling me that my computer was infected. Really, me says. Pray tell me more. He rattles on about my computer being infected, etc. I was laughing too hard and told him I was Inspector Gadget and I was pinging his location right now.

Darn, He hung up!

But as a warning to others (Lady in Lakeland, you know who you are):

SCAM! Search on "Windows Tech Support Scam" or "Microsoft Tech Support Scam" or 780-409-4786. They try to trick you to go to a website that will grant remote access to your computer. Once they get on they will install malware/spyware or edit your registry to cause your computer to malfunction then extort money from you to "fix" it. They will also very likely install malware like a keylogger to obtain your userids, passwords, credit card numbers and banking information. DO NOT FOLLOW ANY OF THEIR DIRECTIONS! Either hang up or if you are tech savvy, play games with them. See how long you can keep them on the phone and how mad you can make them.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
As you may know, I am now also a retired IT computer guy besides military retired. Just got a call from 780-409-4786.

Some guy with an accent was telling me that my computer was infected. Really, me says. Pray tell me more. He rattles on about my computer being infected, etc. I was laughing too hard and told him I was Inspector Gadget and I was pinging his location right now.

Darn, He hung up!

But as a warning to others (Lady in Lakeland, you know who you are):

SCAM! Search on "Windows Tech Support Scam" or "Microsoft Tech Support Scam" or 780-409-4786. They try to trick you to go to a website that will grant remote access to your computer. Once they get on they will install malware/spyware or edit your registry to cause your computer to malfunction then extort money from you to "fix" it. They will also very likely install malware like a keylogger to obtain your userids, passwords, credit card numbers and banking information. DO NOT FOLLOW ANY OF THEIR DIRECTIONS! Either hang up or if you are tech savvy, play games with them. See how long you can keep them on the phone and how mad you can make them.
My friend got about 5 same calls during past 3 months. Why are they keep calling him?... Some guy with an Indian accent was telling him exactly same thing. Luckily he was smart enough not to give any info. I told him the same thing - "Next time when he calls you just tell him to hold on while I'm searching where his IP address comes from =)
LOL

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it is just like the 'clean my pc' commercial except you call them and then they clean out your wallet

·
Premium Member 1998 SLK230
3,527 Posts
I answer calls that dont have a caller id with a heavy accent.....
"YEAS
. . . WAT YU WANNNT TU ODA?
SHE NO LIVE HEA! STOP CALL
. THIS RESTRANT,
.. YU ODA FOOD NOW.

·
Registered 2012 SLK350
169 Posts
I get a couple of calls a week from ACR, they will not respond when you answer and will not accept your call when you call them. I checked and this is the American Cancer Research, a reputable company but apparently their number has been hacked.

·
Premium Member
2,710 Posts
This is very good advice. There are all kinds of scams out there. I see college students all the time complaining about all kinds of computer-related problems with their computers. I always tell them two things. First, always ensure you have a condom (ant-virus protection software) placed/installed on your computer. Proper protection can save you tons of money down the road. Second, think of your computer as your toothbrush. Don't let anyone use it, especially a child! I never under any circumstances let anyone use my laptop; three years strong and virus free. Now that's what I'm talking about!

·
Super Moderator 2010 SLK300 2LOOK
14,944 Posts
I get a couple of calls a week from ACR, they will not respond when you answer and will not accept your call when you call them. I checked and this is the American Cancer Research, a reputable company but apparently their number has been hacked.
I had heard that when you get a call and they hang up the source is trying to calculate when the best time is to call you to solicit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts